Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > XML modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
anjilek
A Ghoul

Server: MT
Default XY question

Is the number for x and y pixilated or some other measurment?

I am confused on placement inside the window and window size. Is there a program that can show you how x,y,cx,and cy all relate? Like some paintshop program or something? Or should I just assume and make recorrections based on the window size?
Oh yea, is x vertical and y horizontal? I play with UI's at work and can't constantly reload them to check

Any help is appreciated or a redirect to somewhere I could get the info.

heres what I am working with if ya need an example
Code:
<Screen item = "PlayerWindow"> <!--<ScreenID/>--> <RelativePosition>false</RelativePosition> <Location> <X>1</X> <Y>195</Y> </Location> <Size> <CX>160</CX> <CY>160</CY> </Size>
anjilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Yes it is a pixel count.
X is horizontal, Y is vertical. The numbering starts at the top left of the screen.
CX is the width , and CY is the Height.
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #3
Repentinus
A Ghoul

Server: Cazic-Thule

Okay I understand that x and y are horizontal and vertical, respectively. But what is that in reference to? The top left corner of the screen EQ screen? Or something to do with the .tga files. I was messing around with the x and y and cx and cy values of the target box to see what they did but really didn't see anything happen. Atleast I think it was the target box. Kinda new to this stuff.
Repentinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
A_Nolan
A Snow Griffin

x horizontal and y vertical from the top left of the screen you are working on.

for the screen items x/y indicates where it is located from the upper left of the screen and size (cx and cy) is the size of the window/screen it self.

for indivdual items inside of a screen x/y is to the upper left of the screen its in.

for ui animations and x/y is in the image file from the upper left and textureInfo is the actual size (cx/cy) of the image in pixils(sp )

some files like the containers have a max/min sizes which its hard to set the size of the window and internal size has to include the width of the border ( 1cx 1cy size border with 100 cx 100cy of internal items(labels, gauges, screens) will be size cx 101 cy 101 not cx 100 cy 100).

Hope this helps a little. And good luck it took me a while to get it all straightened out.

WWJD (read the book and find out john 3:16)
A_Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Well, it kind of depends. When you make a object for your UIwindow, you must specify where that object goes in your UIwindow and the size of the object.
Ex:
<Label item ="GW_ManaNumbers">
<ScreenID>ManaNumberLabel</ScreenID>
<EQType>128</EQType>
<Font>2</Font>
<RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition>
<Location>
<X>50</X>
<Y>55</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>100</CX>
<CY>12</CY>
</Size>
<Text> </Text>
<TextColor>
<R>255</R>
<G>255</G>
<B>255</B>
</TextColor>
<NoWrap>true</NoWrap>
<AlignCenter>true</AlignCenter>
<AlignRight>false</AlignRight>
<AlignLeft>false</AlignLeft>
</Label>
In the above, I put the mana numbers at location 50, 55 and the size is 100x12
When calling a graphic from a .tga file the x, y coordinate and cx, cy size specify where the graphic is and how big it is.
Ex:
<Ui2DAnimation item="Drak_MEndCapLeft">
<Frames>
<Texture>drakah_loe_groupbars.tga</Texture>
<Location>
<X>220</X>
<Y>90</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>20</CX>
<CY>15</CY>
</Size>
<Hotspot>
<X>0</X>
<Y>0</Y>
</Hotspot>
<Duration>1000</Duration>
</Frames>
</Ui2DAnimation>

Thats how I understand it in anycase. Hope it helped and didn't provide more confusion.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
Repentinus
A Ghoul

Those replies helped out a lot. But I'm still at a lost on one thing. Each time ya'll say that the x and y are from the top left of the screen I'm working on. The screen thing is what throws me. What screen? The screen in Everquest? I understand the TGA but those that don't refer to a TGA is losing me. What screen is the XML using for reference?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Novawulf
A Glorified Port Mule

Server: The Nameless

its the window piece that you are working on... so if you were working on a file like window_pieces01 0,0 is the the upper left of that window only. The whole of EQ is ignored just the file you are working on and declaring.

Hope this helps

Novawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
anjilek
A Ghoul

Server: MT
Default Continuation of my question....

Now that I understand x/y a little better thanks to those great explanations ( as well as a way better understanding of calling the .tga ) , Hers another.

In the UI I am reverse enginereing, the Hp_Gauge is called to location
Code:
<Location> <X>10</X> <Y>20</Y> </Location>

Obviously to high for a normal player window because of the name/surname/title. Then there is the offset-
Code:
<TextOffsetX>-300</TextOffsetX> <GaugeOffsetY>16</GaugeOffsetY>

I understand the gaugeoffset of 16 puts me into <y>36</y> which looks right for the window I am using. Why offset and not just make it <x>10 and <y>36 ?

Also, ,what is the TextOffset and what does it do?
anjilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Not sure why they coded it to offset like that. The <textoffset> does the exact same thing to the text that the <guageoffset> does to the gauge in that it moves it. By off setting the text -300 it will not be visible in the player (or group) window.

Ahh, I knew i forgot something about the x and y values. When coding where the piece is going to be placed in the EQUI_UIpiece.xml, the x and y of 0,0 is the top left of that UI Piece (so if working on EQUI_Groupwindow.xml, 0,0 would be the top left corner of EQUI_Groupwindow.xml.) There is also a x,y value for the window itself, this describes where it will be placed in the UI. This is the default location for the window piece, so if you where to /loadskin, deselect the use .ini settings, then load your UI this is where the window would be.
So using the group window from above, there will be a x,y coordinate and cx,cy size for that individual window.
<Screen item="GroupWindow">
<ScreenID />
<RelativePosition>false</RelativePosition>
<Location>
<X>516</X>
<Y>100</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>168</CX>
<CY>256</CY>
</Size>
This tells EQ to place the top left corner of the Group window about halfway across my screen (<X>516</X>) and about 1/8 of the way down (<Y>100</Y>) and make it 168 pixels wide (<CX>168</CX>) by 256 pixels high (<CY>256</CY>)
(AFAIK in any case.)

Last edited by Weskat : 07-23-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
Repentinus
A Ghoul

Sweet, thank you all. I'm am just learning to identify the different elements of an xml document and what they pertain to. This post helped a lot.