User Name
Password

Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis
Default Anyone else perturbed about the new sizable UI state...

I think this was poorly implemented, and buggy.

They should have kept the old .ini values specific to resolutions.

With these changes there now seems to be an offscreen item correction. I could not get UI items flush with the window margins without oversizing the EQ window.

I can no longer right click the Everquest taskbar item and select close. They disabled the context menu shortcut for this.

I spent a good portion of my time today just trying to get my UI back the way I had it because of all these 'improvements'.

I wish they had just left it alone, it was fine the way it was.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Sadge
A Treant

Default Hate to say it ...

I hate to say this, but is this your first time playing a SOE game?

It seems like everything they do is poorly implemented and buggy.

I know, I know -- I'm bitter. I had a whole plan of doing stuff this evening and I've spent the whole time fixing the UI too.
Sadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

No, i've been a long time player of SOE games. I was playing all of them at one point.

Normally I can just shrug off the changes, and go about my business, but this one really got under my skin.
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Yeah, me too. I think it's because the UI is such a personal thing. It's your window in your game, and anyone using a custom UI has usually spent a lot of time getting it just so. Anything that messes that up breaks a lot of your hard work. It's disheartening, and irritating all in one go.

And that's far too depressing a post for me. Time for a dancing banana

Always cheers me up
myxiplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Taishen
Mistress of Pain

Server: Prexus
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inokis
I wish they had just left it alone, it was fine the way it was.

I second that! There's nothing worse than logging in shortly before raid time only to find that half the raid needs to fix their UI's. I've spent several days now trying to find a patched UI that works (none of them do for some reason and it's not the UI creators fault) that will tide me over until I can use LodiDodi (<3) again.

I'm with Inokis... this change really got under my skin.

Mistress of Pain
Taishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
aborianus
A Gray Wolf

Default Agreed

Hey all.

I totaly agree with what is being said here.

I've made a few modified UI's and posted them here for the community in the past.. and spend countless hours making personal improvements and changes to my UI pieces.

There are many of us out there who use custom UI's and custom UI pieces.. and many of us who code our own.

UI's are very personal ... just when you have it set exacly as you like it... blending size and functionality and pleasing looks .... SOE sticks their fingers in the pie and messes things up.

I use Drakkah's DEFAULT OLD UI ( thank GOD he maintains this.. cause i just simply can't stand the default UI ever since they "improved" it with new icons and borders )... and then overlay a few custom pieces i wrote or modified over that to make the final UI i use ...

I now have 3 seperate UI pieces i need to fix after this patch.

Loot Window / Pet Window / Player Window.... each of which i highly modified and customized ... GRRRR....
aborianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Relic95
A Bat

Do you think SOE reads what's in these forums? I wish they would and take a hint.
Relic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

After what Myx posted on the EQforums, I think they know

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/p...topic_id=118821
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

You want to know the funny bit... I actually type *halfling* on that board now lol. SoE stress me out sometimes
Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
Taishen
Mistress of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx
You want to know the funny bit... I actually type *halfling* on that board now lol. SoE stress me out sometimes

This UI mess has just about pushed me to my limits. I don't even feel like logging into the game until they fix it..... which has totally *halfling* up my raid attendance.

Meh. I should of dug into the xml files when I first started playing the game because by now I would be writing my own UI.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
Sadenaig
A Hill Giant

I have seen a lot of changes done in the name of class balancing, preparation for expansions, etc. that were poorly designed and implemented. None of those have ever made me seriously consider quitting EQ, not even the ugly models they call human that they were trying to foist on us. This change to the UI has made me consider it. I average 2 hours a day in game, but since they rolled this change out which was completely unnecessary I have played a total of two hours. I had my UI up and running within a couple of hours of the patch, but the sheer frustration of yet another change to the UI is driving me away as a player. I understand that some changes are necessary to the UI, but making changes, seemingly at random, with every patch hurts the playerbase more than any other single component. SOE has touted how customizable the UI is, which it is, but then they go and break the work of anyone who has tried to make EQ look the way they want it. The UI is how we interact with the game. I think SOE gets that it is important, but they seem to be rolling changes out piecemeal instead of taking time to roll out changes comprehensively. Enough of my griping. Back to UT2k4 to get my frustrations out.
Sadenaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
Catweazel
A Ghoul

Although I share many of the comments raised here, there is another thread on the SOE forum by Steven Klug, SOE senior developer, who seems to genuinely be trying to help, and he has explained the background behind some of the recent changes.

He would be a good asset for this forum if he could be invited to drop by once in a while.
Catweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
Taishen
Mistress of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catweazel
Although I share many of the comments raised here, there is another thread on the SOE forum by Steven Klug, SOE senior developer, who seems to genuinely be trying to help, and he has explained the background behind some of the recent changes.

He would be a good asset for this forum if he could be invited to drop by once in a while.

That's the thread that I read before making my previous post here. I'm still irritated beyond comprehension.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 AM   #14
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

One point in Steven's thread that may have been missed - he's stated that this was *not* a patch that should have gone live. It sounds like it's code that was in the early stages of being developed and was in no way ready for release.

Having seen how professionally he's dealt with it since, and the quality of the fixes he's proposing, I think this could actually have been a nice feature had it been released as planned.

Steven's said that this shouldn't have gone live, he's fixing it now, and there will be an internal postmortem to find out what happened.

While we've all seen stuff like this far too often from SoE, at least on this occasion the mistake is being handled professionally.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
SmileyFAAce_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taishen
I second that! There's nothing worse than logging in shortly before raid time only to find that half the raid needs to fix their UI's. I've spent several days now trying to find a patched UI that works (none of them do for some reason and it's not the UI creators fault) that will tide me over until I can use LodiDodi (<3) again.

I'm with Inokis... this change really got under my skin.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Sept. 18.

Today is Sept 18. I found this in some posts on fixing windows .. This worked for me. Unfortunately YOU must do the fix's in YOUR folder UI_Yourname_Yourserver. and change the width ( cx ) and height ( cy ).

** Brighid741 wrote:

Check your UI files for the affected windows (EQUI_BuffWindow.xml used for example) and see what size they need to be. Twords the end of the EQUI_XXXXX you should see a section like this:

<Screen item="BuffWindow">
<Text />
<RelativePosition>false</RelativePosition> -
<Location>
<X>415</X>
<Y>0</Y>
</Location> -
<Size>
<CX>113</CX>
<CY>550</CY>
</Size>

Write down the CX and CY size numbers. Then go to your UI_toon_server.ini file and go to the sections for buff window( example below ) and SD buff window and edit the numbers to match the (Width) CX (113 ), and (Height) CY ( 550 ), from the EQUI file.

UI_Toon_Server.ini below.

[BuffWindow]
INIVersion=1
Minimized1680x1050=0
BGTint.red=255
BGTint.green=255
BGTint.blue=255
BGType=1
Fades=true
Delay=2000
Duration=500
Alpha=255
FadeToAlpha=255
Locked=false
XPos1680x1050=-1
YPos1680x1050=24
Width1680x1050=113 <---- make sure this is cx from YOUR EQUI_BuffWind.( as example above )....
Height1680x1050=550 <---- make sure this is cy from YOUR EQUI_BuffWind.( as example above )....
RestoreXPos1680x1050=0
RestoreYPos1680x1050=0
RestoreWidth1680x1050=0
RestoreHeight1680x1050=0

That works for any window you're having size issues with - just get the size numbers from the EQUI_XXXXX.xml for the window that's having issues, and post them into UI_Toon_Server.ini

SmileyFAAce_

Last edited by SmileyFAAce_ : 09-18-2007 at 01:31 PM.