Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > General UI Talk
User Name
Password

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Tolain
A Gray Wolf

Default Using a netbook: best minimalist UI?

I'm pretty much posting this because the combination of internet speed and the netbook capabilities makes logging in to test UIs a chore. Can anyone suggest a working UI with very small bars and hotkeys so that my 8 inch screen isnt totally swamped by the GUI? I play casters, but class-specific UIs arent all that important to me. just something that will give me my screenspace back.
Tolain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Kalthazz
A Weathered Clockwork

Server: tunare
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to Kalthazz Send a message via Yahoo to Kalthazz

i thought net books or lap tops were not made for gaming BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT BLUE INFINITY 2009 UI
Kalthazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Halelen
Lord Doljonijiarnimorinar

Server: Povar

Pfft Ill put my laptop up against most desktop gaming pcs I box 2 diff accounts on laptop better then most my friends desktops can.
Halelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
warriorofmight
Enhanced Imperial Golem

To be perfectly honest, I don't know that you can get minimalist enough for an 8 inch screen. Unless you've got ALL windows closed and you toggle them on and off when needed, there just isn't enough real estate to work with.

If you can manage to shrink everything down enough, I'd almost guarantee that it's going to have to be made especially for your situation because even the most minimalist I've seen on here is going to cover up your screen.

Oink! Reborn
warriorofmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Tolain
A Gray Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalthazz
i thought net books or lap tops were not made for gaming BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT BLUE INFINITY 2009 UI

They're not really but EQ runs fine. While I have a nice laptop/desktop at home, I'll be here in China for for the next year and dropping cash for a new system just to play EQ for an hour or two a night isn't an option. Any other suggestions? Minuet looks like what I'm looking for, but someone mentioned that it may not be compatible with SoD.

Last edited by Tolain : 09-30-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
Dimencia
Premium Member

Grab the UI (or parts) you can best use for your taste and watch for the RED Text
When it shows if your not sure how to fix it post the ERROR lines from your UI Log as well as the file and we can probably take a look at it and help bring it up to date
Old 09-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
SmileyFAAce_

Bah, now you make me want to upload a minimalist buff / short buff window..

SmileyFAAce_
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
Tolain
A Gray Wolf

Heres what I've come up with mixing and matching. It's not pretty but it works. There is a red out of date warning, but everything seems to work so far. I'm definitely up for more suggestions, especially with the hotbars since they seem to take the most space.

One other thing, which interface piece is the gear-inspection based on? The current UI I have doesn't show alot of info on items such as focus effects and such, and thats something I think I'll probably need.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Dimencia
Premium Member

What is your Screen Res?
Dimencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Tolain
A Gray Wolf

my desktop res is 1024x600, but I'm running EQ windowed at

WindowedWidth=1018
WindowedHeight=552
WidthWindowed=980
HeightWindowed=540

I'm not sure if thats redundant eqini info or not.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
skabe
A Fire Beetle

Check out Wiznut's UI
skabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
SmileyFAAce_

Wiznut is ' taking a break '. His UI can be found here.

SmileyFAAce_
Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
vekanos
Premium Member

MiniUI would likely fit the bill, but it is suffering from bit rot.
vekanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
956wenbrook
A Gray Wolf

I use a minimalist I created from pieces created by everyone else (none is my original but the end product). I run it on a 17" monitor with a resolution of 1028x 512 wineq split screen top bottom. So I have two on one monitor and play 2 toons there. So I needed a UI to fit 1028x512 basically (numbers are not exact for I am at work but you get what I mean). It works quite well for me and is crowded if I raid but I have 4-5 chat boxes and hotbuttons and stuff. I'll post a screen shot if you want when I get home. The only thing I can't find is mini spell book, mini right click on item information, mini bank window. I have not looked hard for those but all else is see through and small.
956wenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #15
shamy65
A Ghoul

i am doing pretty much the same,i am usuing different pieces from diff files.and it's pretty easy to do since i have no clue how to create my own ui.
and i hate to have to wait days / weeks to get mine work again.
it's usually take me like 5 min to get mine to work again.on a rare occasion if a file is not working i only have to find a single file that i like to work (usually easy to do )....
what i am doing is :
open EQ folder / uifiles / right click ---> new folder / name it like u want / open default folder / ctrl+a to highlight all the file ----> right click,copy,and paste it into the new folder you just made / now go to eqinterface/ interface pieces , and find any file u look any interest at ../ all the one i try and work i save them into a folder on my desktop for future reference / so when there are patch day and they screw up the ui's i only have to create a new folder in uifile,name it,copy default in it,and i put all the ui files that i have saved into the folder on my desktop...usually work.....if not wait a few and someone will link that single pieces that will work........

PS: i usually get the RED text saying that some files might not work when i log into EQ,but i never had any issues since like 4 years,so........

when i am trying many different ui file,to be change i am trying several at same time to see if they work and no conflict with others like :

i create new folders ( copy the default into them at 1st ) into the uifiles and name it like :
test1
test2
test3
ect...............

Last edited by shamy65 : 02-10-2010 at 06:35 AM.
shamy65 is offline   Reply With Quote