Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-17-2002, 09:49 AM   #1
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default ALARM window

Good Grief Charlie Brown!

I want wheterver the Verant developers are smoking.

This is the lamest thing I've ever seen. Which is probably why half the window is dedicated to the "dont show this again" check-box.

I read the patch message and know it was hosed from the get-go. There's no way to reset the Alarm once it goes off other than logging. Which makes the thing pretty pointless.

If they wanted an alarm in-game - then they should make if fully interactive, allowing changes at anytime, and include a reminder of a why you set it to begin with. Addtionally, it should have multiple methods for setting the time rather than just xx hours yy minutes. why not 2pm PST ?

And this alarm would really not be needed at all if they would include 2 label eqtypes - one for Norrath Time and one for Earth Time.

Verant gets 2 big thumbs down for a worthless development effort.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
Kweil
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Rodcet Nife

I like it. The reason they didn't make it so you could reset it at anytime is because people would use it as a timer for spawns/spells instead of "My play time is up, time for RL." As far as putting down 2pm PST that is much harder then you think.
Reasons:
It would have to get the time zone settings from your computer, compare it to the time zone requested, convert the time if zones are different. And it would also have to compare the time on your computer vs the time requested which is more work then a timer. Plus you know how many people (including VI) mess up PST and PDT?

The timer in its current form is good for what they said its purpose was, a reminder to get back to real life.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:52 AM   #3
Earthscum
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Quellious
Send a message via AIM to Earthscum Send a message via Yahoo to Earthscum

I have to agree... I like it.

For example, I set it for 40mins today so I didn't get too involved adn forget to pick up my girlfriend. Nice feature. If you want a spawn timer, just download one of them from this site.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:55 AM   #4
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

I'm not after a timer. I just think it was very poor deployment. My gut feeling is that it was something written on the side and just thrown into the patch at the last minute.

I still assert that Earth time and Norrath time need to be available via labels with EQtypes.

Quote:
As far as putting down 2pm PST that is much harder then you think.
Reasons:
It would have to get the time zone settings from your computer, compare it to the time zone requested, convert the time if zones are different. And it would also have to compare the time on your computer vs the time requested which is more work then a timer.

LOL - sorry if you think its so hard but it really isn't. The only confusion occurs if the DST changes during the operation of the timer. And even that can be accounted for since its all running on the same computer.

If you want to see how the DST can break down. Send yourself a delayed arrival email now that is scheduled to arrive after the DST change on Oct 27th. Its not a fault free system becuase the mail packet relies on different computer during its routing.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 01:50 PM   #5
Cromer
A Fire Beetle

If you watched 48 hours last night, the Ceo of SOE stated the reason for the timer.

The timer is SOE's way of fixing the addiction EQ has on everyone. Duh I am not addicted!

Since the incident with the suicide, this was SOE's kind of a fix to keep peeps from lossing track of time online.

It was not meant for a Spawn Timer.
Cromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 01:43 PM   #6
Pini Uldar
A Shissar Disciple

I could also see it useful in Europe or Asia where a lot of people play in Internet Cafes. When they buy 3 hours of time they can set that timer on login to warn them in 2:45 minutes.

For me? I just click the "never show up again" thing and forget it exists.

- Pini
Pini Uldar is offline   Reply With Quote