Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Interface Wish List
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2003, 07:06 PM   #1
FennyX
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Wish: story window basic navigation

I would like the story window to remember the last few links clicked and provide "Back" and "Forward" navigation buttons to move around the list.

It is difficult to provide "backlink" tags on pages that are refered to by multiple pages. For example: a page describing "Minor Healing" might be linked to by a page listing "Cleric Spells" and another listing "Druid Spells". A backlink on the Minor Healing page cannot be created in this case.

Here is how a history might look after clicking 5 links and pressing "Back" twice:

array[0] = "file0.txt"
array[1] = "file1.txt"
array[2] = "file2.txt" <-- this file is currently displayed
array[3] = "file3.txt"
array[4] = "file4.txt"

Clicking "Back" now will display file1.txt, while clicking "Forward" will display file3.txt. Clicking a new link will replace file3.txt and remove file4.txt from the history.

The buttons should also disable/enable themselves when clicking them would have no result, like when at the start or end of the list.

As an alternative to Back/Forward buttons, perhaps a <back></back> tag we could insert into our files that would have the same functionality.

Sorry for editing so much. In the vain hope a dev sees this I felt it best my idea was presented as clearly as possible. I apologize for any posts following this that do not make sense as a result

Last edited by FennyX : 07-18-2003 at 12:26 AM.
FennyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:15 PM   #2
Kelric

Server: Brell Serilis

I've got to agree... a complete overhaul of the story window would be nice... I understand why it is how it is, that it was intended to be easy access to game lore, as it was released... but it's way to useful as a repository for other info. True, it's not as essential with the ability to put EQ in a window, but it's still tons easier to have the pertinant information for tradeskills, quests, spells, or what-have-you at your fingertips.

So, as long as we're wishing, I'd like to see:

- Controls (Back, Forward, Home)
that work within each story document. If the document has only one page, then they obviously go nowhere.

- To make the above work, the abililty to relate pages in an intelligent way. Each story mod could consist of one main page and a potentially unlimited number of dependent pages; for example, a main page named storyFletching and dependent pages named storyFletching-01, 02, etc. (the main page defaulting to -00). The Forward button would cause the window to automatically look for the next number in sequence and load it; the Back button would look for the previous number, and the Home button would load the main page. Internal links would still allow users to skip around, then hit the Home button to start over, or go Forward or Backward as they please.

- The ability to sort the available documents by date or name... and possibly by Category (which would have to be added). Possible categories could be Lore, Tradeskills, Quests, and Other. I think categories would have to be set by the user (like in the Journal).

- To go along with sorting, I'd like to see the Name be listed first, Date last (maybe just a personal preference, I dunno... makes more sense to me that way).
Old 06-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

I LOVE how players are using the Story window. But, I think either we should love it how it is, or they should lock it so only their story's show in the window since that is what it is for. If I were a moderator I'd delete this thread.

Enok
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 10:28 AM   #4
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

The wish list forum is specifically for this type of "it sure would be nice if" posts.

Quote:
But, I think either we should love it how it is, or they should lock it so only their story's show in the window since that is what it is for. If I were a moderator I'd delete this thread.

With that perspective, I'm not sure why you are even posting on a forum that is solely dedicated to CUSTOMIZING the EQ UI.
And I am certainly glad that you're not a moderator.

As for the Story Window - I would see having a forward and back button similiar to the navigation buttons on the ACTION window or Spell Book. Makes perfect sense.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Kelric

Server: Brell Serilis

Not to mention, there's been changes to the UI based solely on the work done here - a perfect example is the addition of percentages to the player, group, and target windows recently.

I think the Story Window ROCKS, I absolutely love it. No one's demanding that it be changed, or would cry if it stayed exactly as is.

But if I could make a wish...
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:08 AM   #6
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

Quote:
With that perspective, I'm not sure why you are even posting on a forum that is solely dedicated to CUSTOMIZING the EQ UI.

I don't think you understood what I meant grottel. SOE let's us modify the UI, which is awesome. I love to do it and it's the only reason I still play EQ I think (because 75% of my time on EQ is UI modding). BUT, the stories within the story window are NOT part of the UI. In fact I'm not sure we're really allowed to mess with that folder. I didn't want wishes to get made about the story window, or even have it brought up, in case an EQ Rep saw this post and thought "oh no! they're misusing the story window, guess we need to 'fix' it so they can't abuse it" or something.

Yeah, it's probably a good thing I'm not a moderator on any messageboards anymore. When I used to moderate 2 different messageboards I probably deleted 10% of the posts, mostly because I didn't want certain things brought to the attention of game developers who might make a BAD change based on what they read.

I know this post comes a bit late but I was checking up on threads I've posted in and noticed I missed this one a bit ago.

Enok
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:48 PM   #7
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

Quote:
Originally posted by Haliken
I don't think you understood what I meant grottel.
Understood it quite clearly thank you.

History of Story Vs EULA
http://www.eqgui.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5836

Players ARE allowed to work within the EQ folders. Even if the EULA specified otherwise, its beyond their legal grasp to exert control over MY files, even if they happen to reside in the same directory.

The type of censorship you describe is very disturbing and I'm glad that the administrators do not engage in such behavior.
As the sad joke about censorship goes -- "We are all entitled to my opinion".
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
cyrus1469
A Ghoul

Default back and forward

why not just a back button, and on those spells that share classes, instead of a back button replace with

shaman , cleric etc...
cyrus1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:19 AM   #9
cyrus1469
A Ghoul

Not sure if you were gona do this so im doing this,

i have tested so far with just necro spells, but it works and thus will be doing all eventualy.

at the bottom of the spell description it will have a link to go back to what class you came from , so on those spells that several classes get it will have a link for those classes that have that spell (in common) to go back to there main spell listing.
cyrus1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
GrottelTemp
A Ghoul

Quote:
Originally posted by cyrus1469
Not sure if you were gona do this so im doing this,

i have tested so far with just necro spells, but it works and thus will be doing all eventualy.

Poor Cyrus - you're gonna bang your head against the wall SOO hard. We're talking about the STORY WINDOW - not any specific story.
As far as modding up someone elses spell story window - I would check with the author directly before procedding with any mods other than for your own use.
GrottelTemp is offline   Reply With Quote