Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 01-17-2003, 09:45 PM   #16
CVamian
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Talking solved finally, woo hoo

PMs? Why do I have to set my datarate to 9... what does it mean when it's at 9? Using Cable Modem...

Think it is solved now finally , I will change the datarate though....

One of the GMs said nothing was wrong with my computer information, which I found odd compared to the other three that had said that there was something wrong ... he wanted me to update my via 4 in 1 drivers... So I did that, and turned sound off... Now I have no sound but I haven't gotten' dropped to desktop since...

Hope anyone else who read this thread will try updating their via 4in1 drivers if they have any and have tried everything else... Seems to have worked... Thanks for the help Cairenn I will definitly change the datarate... however I am wondering what the datarate does... and what is the PMs?
CVamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:48 PM   #17
beano_33
A Gray Wolf

Quick question, how do you change the daterate?
beano_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:23 PM   #18
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

PMs means Private Messages. When you first log into the forums, where you see the listing of all of them, just above that is a spot where it tells you that you have a PM waiting for you.

Btw, did you turn sounds off using the option window inside EQ or before you even log in? Because if you turned it off from outside EQ, then you won't be able to open the mp3 window, which is, as you know, the top border ...

beano_33 - open the datarate.txt file using a text editor (Word, WordPerfect, NotePad, etc) and change it to what you want it to be.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:24 PM   #19
kitsinu
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Xegony

DataRate.txt is a file in the "EverQuest" directory. It has one number in it. 9.0 is what mine says (I have DSL). Slower connections might be improved with a lower setting (5.0 seems to be the default). Some modem users report using 3.0 actually helps stabilize their game.

If you want to edit it, I suggest using the Notepad program at Start>Programs>Accessories>Notepad
Note pad is nice because it doesn't add any formatting characters that will mess up the file if you don't Save As>Text.
kitsinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #20
CVamian
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Mithaniel Marr

I turned it off in the game itself in options... I didn't mess with the data-rate thing even though I do have cable modem, when I went to change it, my husband wanted me to change it back and said 5. was ok even though I am on cable modem...he's a computer wiz... though I think it'd probably be good to change it, I don't want to push it either ya' know?

I don't even use the mp3 thing for the game, have stereo playing music behind me but sorta' sucks to not have any hit sounds now
CVamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:55 PM   #21
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Well, try using it with the sounds turned back on. It may have just been that you needed to update the drivers (which you did).
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:28 PM   #22
kitsinu
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Xegony

5.0 with a cable modem is fine. The danger is setting a modem to 9.0.
kitsinu is offline   Reply With Quote