User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Network Problems

OK after an hour of my brother whining because the computers aren networked i set one up. they both get internet and see each other on the work group but not on the network or in pinging. i took cisco networkin sem 1 and 2 and most of 3 was a blur so i failed it.

computer a (mine) is 192.168.0.2
computer b (bro's) is 192.168.0.3
default gateway is 192.168.0.1

can ne1 help i dont know what to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.”
Anne Frank
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:31 PM   #2
[The Clanless]
A Bat

Erm. Maybe you can see each other on the workgroup and stuff but not on the network because maybe neither of you have anything shared to show up IN the actual network folder? And as for the ping thing.. I have a slight idea to what might be wrong, but can't quite explain it, and don't know if i'm right anyway.

That's my idea on it, not sure if i'm right. O_o
Old 05-25-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
Vitaee
Enhanced Imperial Golem

I agree with archer on the first part. The reason why neither computer can see each other on the network is that there might not be anything that the other computer can see. In order for computer A to see computer B, something on computer B has to be shared. Since you've taken Cisco classes, I'll assume you know enough about MS opertating systems to share folders or drives on a PC. I have an MCSE, but when I first networked my two PCs at home, I could see computer B from Computer A, but could not see Computer A from computer B. Spent over an hour trying to figure this out, and then I realized that I had not shared any files, folders, or drives on Computer A. I shared a single file on Computer A, and like magic, Computer A showed up in Computer B's network neighborhood.

As for the pinging problems, I have a few questions:

What exactly do you mean by they can see each other on the workgroup but not on the network?? Feel free to use as much techno-geek language as you need to answer this question.

How are you computer's networked?? Hub, router, direct connection, etc?? Please include as much info as you can including manufacturer and model number of any networking equipment you have.

Not sure this would be relevant, but it might. What type of internet connection do you have??

I assume that in mentioning your pinging problem, you're trying to ping each computer from the other. I'm also assuming you know that the ip addresses you provided are essentially virtual "fake" ip addresses. Only the computers on the immediate network will be able to see them. For any other computer outside that network, it is technically not possible for them to ping either computer on your network.

Hmm.... now that I think about it, since both PCs are getting internet, but can't ping each other, it seems as if you've somehow setup a firewall between the two PCs. This is possible if the PCs in question have some sort of individual firewall software or hardware. I know it's also possible to do this intentionally using a commercially available home networking kit, so I imagine it's possible to do so accidentally.

Anyway, I've rambled too much.

To summarize, how are your PC's networked, what type of internet connection do you have, and do you have any type of firewall protection for either PC??
Vitaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:33 AM   #4
Vitaee
Enhanced Imperial Golem

After reading my previous post, I have to add one more thing:

DAMN I'M A GEEK!!!!
Vitaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

When i go to network places my bros comp dont show up. when i go to workgroup it shows my bros comp but wont allow me in.

its a di-604 dlink gateway router, woth cat5 cables going from 2 lan ports to our computers. the modem is pluged into the wan port. both machines run win xp home.

Cable internet

i checkd and no firewall between. i even shut of the routers firewall and the zonealarms on the comps and it still wont work.

oh yea and i am sharing thing in the folders so they shoud be shoing up.

EDIT** ok after i rebooted teh comps they can ping each other but cant see each other now, and now its working so we can see each other. YAAAAHHH

Wow the wounders of rebooting

Last edited by ArcherPhate : 05-25-2004 at 01:16 PM.
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote