User Name
Password

Old 08-06-2002, 12:13 AM   #1
Amaprotu
A Snow Cougar

Send a message via ICQ to Amaprotu
Default Default.ini !

In this order:

1) default.ini - an ini file included in the UI that is used as the default UI ini file when the skin is loaded.

2) /save SkinName - saves the current ini settings (what the screen currently shows) as the default.ini file in the specified skin directory

3) /load SkinName IniFile - load specific ini file. A mod could have a lefty.ini and a default.ini so people who wanted to load a lefty version could type /load coolskin_01 lefty to load the coolskin_01 with the lefty.ini which would have to be in the coolskin_01 folder. If it isn't found the default should be loaded.

4) /save SkinName IniFile - save the current ini settings in the specified folder with the specified name.

Reasons: The positioning stuff doesn't work in the XMLs! But it does work in the ini files. The ini files are more powerful in some ways than the xml files - they describe the tint color, fade rate, position (correctly), what chat windows are open, what is filtered where, and more?

I would like to make really 'smooth' skins, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It kinda ruins it though if they are relient on the end user rearanging the windows just right. This would also allow for different "version" of a skin to be included very easily.

The ability to choose which UI file is used (current or overwite) is already in game. This extension of that would be wonderful.
Amaprotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:16 AM   #2
Pini Uldar
A Shissar Disciple

That's an excellent idea. It does get old trying to get windows in a semi decent default place and then having people rearrange them every time. Not everyone remembers the "1" on the loadskin all the time and really, we should have control over screen placement like in the ini anyways.

- Pini
Pini Uldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #3
arantius
A Crystal Gargoyle

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Yes I agree, I very much want a "global" or "default" settings store. I do not want my windows in different places for each character. Even less do I want to re-position windows or re-copy ini files for each character. Times all the machines I use.

In fact, I want my friends lists to be the same too. But clearly not socials and hotbuttons Those definetly are character specific.

So really what *I* want which is very close to this, is a "global" settings file for UI settings, friends list, and bazaar prices. And perhaps since not everybody wants this, a simple way to let each character, thru a single command, choose to use the global or the character specific settings for each of those things.