Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 01-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
widdles
A Gray Wolf

Default Transparency not saving...

Trying to make a new design for a group window, just playing around learning the basics of the xml setup for now. I started a new 256x256 transparent file in photoshop.. did what I wanted to do with the background, and saved it as a .tga, 32bit, non-compressed, etc. It is filling up everything that was left transparent in the image with plain white... so when I go ingame, around curves it fills it in with the white to make it a normal rectangle.

Any ideas?
widdles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
Fozzik
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Solusek Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

What version of Photoshop are you using?

Targa files save transparency info in a separate channel. On your layers pallet, select the tab at the top for channels, and click the button at the bottom for 'create new layer'. This will create the alpha channel. In Photoshop 6, which is what I use, everything in the alpha channel which is black will be completely transparent, white is opaque, and all the gray values in between are translucent. Darker gray = more transparent.

hope this helps,

fozz
Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:43 AM   #3
Doover N`Over
A Fire Beetle

I'm using Photoshop 7.0 and it doesn't seem to be saving the transparent part. I saw something about 7.0 changing transparency info on TARGA to comply with the standard. Can anyone give a step by step workaround to get this working with PS7?
Doover N`Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:54 PM   #4
Mckenna
A Hill Giant

I'm having the same problem I wanted to change a spellbar graphic just slightly. I made changes in "Picture It" and saw the white in game, so I went to Paintshop Pro 7 and made the background transparent and it still shows white in game ;( I've never messed with tga files before, but i'm very confused atm.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

Be sure you have the Photoshop 7.01 patch installed.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Cyrssi
A Hill Giant

Server: Veeshan

If you're using Photoshop 7 and have an alpha channel but it is not being saved correctly, get the updated TGA file format plugin here.

I haven't used PSP in awhile, but I think what I did was select the areas that I wanted to be visible, inverted the selection, and then saved the selection as an alpha channel. I might be wrong, though, as I haven't used PSP in a year or so.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

To append Cyrssi's post, here is some text taken from the targa plug-in ream me:
Quote:
Note: The Photoshop 7.0.1 update contains all functionality included in the revised Targa plug-in, so downloading and using the revised plug-in is unnecessary with Photoshop 7.0.1
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote