User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2002, 03:40 PM   #31
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Let me suggest a middle ground..

Muse, someone could/would/ and can write a script to grab only the maps... even if they dont use your VERY COOL MOD, they could do it..

Ramsus, You can't Hold it against Muse that he wants credit and payment for the work he has done. Hits on his pages give him that on both..

Sooo why not work out a program (java maybe) that will hit each page and pull the jpg from it.. that way both Muse is Happy, and map happy fools of the world are happy.. Cuz we get a "pack of maps" and Muse get 142 hits from every use..

Kudane
Old 09-09-2002, 03:47 PM   #32
Ramsus
EQToolbox Webmaster

Server: Cazic Thule
Send a message via AIM to Ramsus Send a message via Yahoo to Ramsus

I was just making a point. I have actually exchanged emails with Muse regarding exactly that. The next version of the Mapmod is quite a bit more advanced and allows for folks to specify maps of their own. His map set is one I plan on pointing folks at, along with several other. There is a new program we are using that generates maps directly from the world files and those maps will be the default but you will be allowed to use the maps you want.

Anyway, I have removed the link to the script and all should be well.

Last edited by Ramsus : 09-09-2002 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:52 PM   #33
Muse
EQ Atlas Webmaster

Kudane: What you suggest would be fine, except that advertisers frown heavily upon fake hits, which is what that program would create. It's simply not an option.

I think actually that Ramsus is implying that he deserves, in some way, credit for the script that I created. Feel free to take a look back through my prior posts to see that I've been working on this for a while, and I had been working on it prior to my first post, however the whole project was delayed until after my exams. Ramsus is certainly the first one to put maps in a mod, I'm not denying that. I'm just unclear as to the source of the apparent hostility for my creation of this application, and the lack of respect for my clearly stated request to not essentially hack my site to get maps.

<shrug>
Old 09-09-2002, 03:53 PM   #34
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda
Default @ramsus

You were also sounding like an ass. Which isn't ever a good thing, so I shan't say "no offence".

I realize you were simply trying to help, but the program you've made is a workaround to a system that muse has created for the exact reason of maintaining what he's built up over the years. Not only does it place a huge strain on his server, without the benefit of ad-hits, but it does take away a good deal of credit from the man. They are his maps, which he took the time to assemble, so naturally, he has every right to determine their use--If he wants us to whistle Dixie before we download them, then i'd gladly do it (i like Dixie anyhow ^.^). If you're unhappy with it, make your own maps.

Mr. Grumpy says goodbye
Fennin Ro"The Forgotten Server"
Go Kicky Fast Okay!

Last edited by Casanunda : 09-09-2002 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:55 PM   #35
Vynre
A Bat

I tried the first map mod, while a GREAT idea, it was virtually unusable - you guys did amazing creating it but realistically it was difficult to use in game and so hit my recycle bin pretty fast.

To be able to just load the maps I need is great have less to flip thru to get to the info I need.

But my major point is that I am AMAZED that anyone would begrudge Muse for wanting people to go to eqatlas to get the maps. Eqatlas is one of the most valuable eq tools on the web, has the best quality maps in one place that you could hope for. Providing this service and trying to make money off it isn't bad, although I'm not sure that the site actually makes money because of how much bandwidth must cost. Frankly, I really apprecite the site and that its been made available in game and I really don't mind paying someone who comes up with such quality work.

If we want to keep people putting great information about EQ on the web, at the expense of their own time and energy, it's also really a good idea to support them if you can. It's not hard to go to the site and download the maps, don't begrudge them this request.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:59 PM   #36
Ramsus
EQToolbox Webmaster

Im not saying in any way that we deserve credit for the script. None what so ever. That script is all yours. All you did was automate the method to add tabs and maps to the userinterface.

In no way did I attempt to "hack" you website. All i did was provide URL's directly to publicly available maps on your site. And automate the process of getting them.

You asked me to take it down and I did.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:12 PM   #37
Muse
EQ Atlas Webmaster

Works for me, thanks for taking it down.

Technically it's called "leeching," but whatever it's called, I don't allow it. Thanks for resolving it quickly, things like that can (and have) almost crippled our servers before.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:32 PM   #38
Kalthanan
A Hill Giant

Default Heh

Technically called "leeching"?

No, I think Ramsus' script merely illustrated how easily the average site that relies on "content" can have its main source of income removed by a very short and cleverly conceived script.

I think things like this will eventually cause servers to be redesigned, and "content" to be hidden away from direct access by URL.

A lot of places already do this for downloads.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:47 PM   #39
Ramsus
EQToolbox Webmaster

theres a very simple command you can enable that restricts this and doesn't allow folks to access http thru anything except a valid web browser. This would stop programs, like my script, from just grabbing the maps and not loading the pages that generate ad revenue.

Other "pay sites" currently out there charge you to access their main site but have nothing in place to stop folks from sucking down their content (like item databases, etc). For instance, the same script could be generated in minutes to download all the available files from this site and use it to set up another site.

Like it or not, it's out there. If this is a concern you or anyone else has, protect yourself against it. It's quite simple and worth the effort if you generate revenue from ads etc.

About 20 people downloaded the script while it was. Please don;t redistribute the script. Muse has put alot of works in to his maps and he doesn't wish for his maps to be obtained this way.
if you have already used the script to grab his maps, go to his site and spend about 10 minutes clicking thru to where the maps are. It won;t hurt you and it will help him.

Have a good one.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:27 PM   #40
Baledin
A Fire Beetle

Send a message via AIM to Baledin
Default Legends

I like the maps showing up in the interface, but what about adding map legends? How difficult would this be?
Old 09-09-2002, 10:53 PM   #41
Succubus
A Hill Giant

Server: Morell-Thule

Awesome work. Downloaded tonight and it is a fantastic help. Wish maps were a little bigger and since I'm XML illiterate I don't wanna fool around.

Keep up the great work Muse. Love your site, love this addition to the UI.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:54 AM   #42
Muse
EQ Atlas Webmaster

Okay, I've fixed the tiny map problem. Turns out I was not clear on how it read in the sizes and so had them coming out very tiny. Hopefully this will make them big enough that people won't need a scaled version. Be sure to download the new one (at www.eqatlas.com/gui)!
Old 09-10-2002, 03:35 AM   #43
wolja
A Treant

Server: veeshan

Muse
Great work. One request and it would be perfect, now you've fixed the size problem. Can you make the window sizeable as current;y when I get a large map I can't resize to see without scrolling.

Picky I know but thanks if you can.

Wolj.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:49 AM   #44
Grygan
A Snow Cougar

Server: The Nameless
Send a message via Yahoo to Grygan
Default Thanks

Thanks Ramsus.

I figured out it would be something like that myself so after forcing the size to be 1600x1600, and still finding it 30% too small, I put 2048x2048 remembering a post by Psykorene about backgrounds, and it turned out to be perfect...

I will post a few screenshots later ;-)

View my custom mix&match monkly UI here...
Old 09-10-2002, 09:01 AM   #45
Muse
EQ Atlas Webmaster

Bah, I'm an idiot. I had changed this in my test file and then forgot to change it in the program. Patch will probably go up tonight. If you are having problems with making it resizable, this is what you do. Eight lines up from the bottom of the file is a line that says "<Style_Sizable>false</Style_Sizable>" Change the false to true, and it should work fine.