Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Tutorials & Info. > XML Tutorials & Info.
User Name
Password

Old 11-20-2002, 03:55 PM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Okay, further question then.

I want to comment out the casting window. I don't see any way to do this, under this method.

Would it not make as much sense to just copy the default EQUI.xml file over, and add the <Include>, without going through the whole rest of the rigamarole?

I understand the principle. I just see some difficulties with it. The two main being the ones already stated: Cursors (animation file) and Casting Windows (ui file).

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:40 AM   #17
Nandayar
A Treant

Server: Drinal

I tried to edit my existing EQUI.xml file to make this change and I can not seem to get it to work. Is there any way I could possibly post my EQUI.xml file here so someone could tell me what lines to add where?? I could really use the help.

Ok I think I misunderstood this change. I read that I have to create a entirely new xml file, but I guess it just did not register in my head. I will have to hit up a friend to help me with this kind of change it is a bit over my head.

Last edited by Nandayar : 11-21-2002 at 09:35 AM.
Nandayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:04 AM   #18
Chronwaas
Skinner Extraordinaire

Server: Saryrn

Hey Nandayar, if you want to if you want to zip up your EQUI.xml, EQUI_Animations.xml, and EQUI_Templates.xml file and attach them here I can take a look at them and maybe clean them up along these lines for you. Then I can give you an outline of the changes so that you can take a look and see what I did so that if you want ot learn about it you can. I am always willing to help those that are looking for help. And if you are looking to learn all the better.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:17 AM   #19
Nandayar
A Treant

Server: Drinal

Thanks a lot Chronwaas for the offer, but I already burnt off a copy of my modified files and sent them to my buddy. If I run into more problems I may have to take you up on the offer. See ya.
Nandayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:43 PM   #20
Aelthas
A Gray Wolf

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Cairenn
Okay, further question then.

I want to comment out the casting window. I don't see any way to do this, under this method.

Would it not make as much sense to just copy the default EQUI.xml file over, and add the <Include>, without going through the whole rest of the rigamarole?

I understand the principle. I just see some difficulties with it. The two main being the ones already stated: Cursors (animation file) and Casting Windows (ui file).

Make a dummy EQUI_CastingWindow with no xml in it. This way it will include the file but, the casting window won't appear since there's no xml in it.

Making dummy files of those you would rather comment out may seem like more work, but if that means most people can go in and play right after a patch instead of having to add a new line to the EQUI file (or waiting for someone else add the line for them) then I'm all for it.

And no, the unbreakable UI solution isn't perfect, but it's much better then what most people are doing right now. I hope it catches on.

EDIT: All that you should need in a dummy file is this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?>
<XML ID="EQInterfaceDefinitionLanguage">
<Schema xmlns="EverQuestData" xmlns:dt="EverQuestDataTypes" />
</XML>

- Aelthas

Last edited by Aelthas : 11-21-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Aelthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:20 PM   #21
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelthas
And no, the unbreakable UI solution isn't perfect, but it's much better then what most people are doing right now. I hope it catches on.

Oh, I quite agree that anything that will make this entire process less painful for *all* of us is a good thing. Just coming up with questions so we can figure out ways to deal with them, in the attempt to make this *really* work, ya know?
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 09:03 AM   #22
jobeken
A Shissar Disciple

The dummy file is a bad idea for one reason...

Anytime you delete the pre-existing verant XML you run the risk of seeing an incompatibility message even tho the skin loads.

What you need to do to correctly make a window go away...

Window type WDT_Def
transparency true
Move all XML elemnts that display in the window to -250 -250
Then edit the window size down to 1x1

That gets rid of the incompatability warning message and the window.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:48 PM   #23
Aelthas
A Gray Wolf

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by jobeken
The dummy file is a bad idea for one reason...

Anytime you delete the pre-existing verant XML you run the risk of seeing an incompatibility message even tho the skin loads.

What you need to do to correctly make a window go away...

Window type WDT_Def
transparency true
Move all XML elemnts that display in the window to -250 -250
Then edit the window size down to 1x1

That gets rid of the incompatability warning message and the window.

True enough. Maybe I should have been more explicit in the last post. For a few windows making a dummy file of them would get you into trouble (The bazaar window springs to mind here).

But, for the two windows that are most commonly commented out (EQUI_BreathWindow and EQUI_CastingWindow) making dummy files for them is perfectly valid. No incompatibility messages or errors should be forthcoming. Though I am only speaking from my experience with them and it wouldn't be the first (or last) time I was mistaken about something. Though your method is safer for most people deciding to get rid of a window.

Also with the dummy file for those two you get the nice bonus of not wasting memory to load something that won't even be seen by the user. And really, I just dislike putting in any code that isn't going to be used.

ps. Love your work on Glass. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished mod.

- Aelthas
Aelthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:00 PM   #24
Xymarra
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: E'Ci

Actually, a slightly cleaner way to accomplish the same end is to delete EQUI.xml from your own directory entirely. Then, in the first loaded file that you modify, insert your includes at the beginning:

Code:
<?xml version = "1.0"?> <XML ID = "EQInterfaceDefinitionLanguage"> <Composite> <Include>Gauges.xml</Include> <Include>Gems.xml</Include> <Include>ThinBorder.xml</Include> <Include>Deco.xml</Include> </Composite>

For me, this is in EQUI_Animations.xml.
Xymarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:21 PM   #25
jobeken
A Shissar Disciple

Or you could not use includes at all and just put all your custom animations in any standard UI file you want...

But Xymarra does have a point...

Those who mix n match UI's cant exactly easily put your custom animations from your UI in with someone elses if they all require a custom EQUI.xml file...

The BEST option is to just put your custom animations/etc in a named file, then include it in your modded file...So people who mix n match can still mix n match...As long as they dont overwrite your one custom file that has your animations/etc in it...

But really and truly, there is no unbreakable UI...
jobeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:51 PM   #26
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

Server: Tholuxe Paelis
Send a message via AIM to aeluin

But you can work toward that goal. And I happen to like Statix's method; I don't mod Animations, Templates or any other common file and I wouldn't want to have Include statements or shared animations in a window file (which is all I will mod anymore because all non-window files have broken at one time or another) because then I'd have to tell people who download my skin how to fix things if they decide they want to mod that particular window.

As is, all I have to say is "don't replace EQUI, don't put in a custom Animations or Templates, don't copy over your default directory and don't delete EQUI_Aeluin, and this mod shouldn't have any problems." Even so I get a few support questions but they're mostly from people trying to add broken mods or mods that come with an Animations.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." -Aragorn's Theme by J.R.R. Tolkien
aeluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:21 PM   #27
jobeken
A Shissar Disciple

Agreed Aelu, but your one of the few already using a modded EQUI.xml...What happens when all the mods people want to mix-n-match say dont change EQUI.xml ... ?

Thats the point I think Xymarra was trying to make, which is not only valid, but going to become an issue fast...
jobeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:34 AM   #28
Spiritwalker
A Snow Griffin

Server: Xegony
Send a message via ICQ to Spiritwalker
Default Way to go

This is a good suggestion. I have had some success with crash proofing on my WC3 mods because i was including most of the animations declarations into the actual files that will use them. This has worked well so far but there was no way for me to create a custom window design without using the templates files. Unfortunately for most skinners EQ has chosen to patch the two most critical files and patch them frequently. Those 2 files are the templates, and animations files. Also if you add any declarations to the main EQUI file that gets patched as well. I think Verant just wants to challenge us to see if they can use our methods of patch proofing in their own code. What better way to save DEV time and funds heheheeh. At any rate. I will most definately be trying your suggestions on my WC3 mods and see how they work out. Very nice contribution. Thanks.

Spiritwalker
Spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:07 PM   #29
Earthscum
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Quellious
Send a message via AIM to Earthscum Send a message via Yahoo to Earthscum

This is actually a pretty simple concept. You have the first file that EQ looks for (that's modifiable) and you use it to include only what your mod or skin uses, plus the other EQUI file. Since it already loaded some stuff from the custom file, it won't load it from the original EQUI. If Verant changes anything in the EQUI file, it won't matter because you aren't eliminating it from your file processing. Same with the animations file. You can do a custom animations file (EQUI_Animations_Spec.XML) that is called before the other animations file, but the original EQUI_Animations still stays intact and updateable. Basically, the EQUI.xml fix is working off that same principal.

What I was doing (pain in the butt if you ask me) was taking the windows that were grouped together (ie, swapping stuff around between Player, Pet, Grouup, and Target) and looking in the EQUI file to see which it loaded up first. In this case, it would be the Group window, so I was using that window to define the animations for those three windows. But, I ran into a problem of wanting to reuse some graphics in the buff window, which got loaded first and wouldn't have a definition for the custom graphics, so I had to move all that info from the group window to the buff window. I have about 3 out of 6 XML files that don't have animation definitions now. This will fix it so I don't have to have animation definitions in ANY of my files except the custom animations :-)
Old 11-26-2002, 03:22 PM   #30
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

Server: Tholuxe Paelis
Send a message via AIM to aeluin

Jobeken- you have a valid point, but if somebody comes to me and says I want to add this cool mod in but it comes with a modified EQUI.xml, what do I do?", it's quite simple to say "show me the EQUI they sent you and I'll see if you need to change anything in mine"- most likely it'll only be 1 line if they even need to change anything. On the other hand, if I decide to put all my custom animations or Includes in the breath window for instance, it would be ridiculously difficult to attempt to explain to someone over PMs how to put in a different breath window.

Besides, individual window mods almost never come with a modded EQUI. It's not practical or useful to do that unless you have a complete set. And members who are mixing-and-matching elements from more than one set tend to be the more experienced ones who can either figure things out themselves or at least understand a semi-technical explanation.
aeluin is offline   Reply With Quote