Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Do you Suffer From motion sickness while playing EQ?
Yes. 19 22.89%
No. 64 77.11%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2003, 09:47 PM   #16
xguix
A Snow Griffin

The only game that made me sick to my stomach was Wolfenstein 3D. Dunno if it was the colors or the bad level design though
Old 03-02-2003, 08:08 AM   #17
Nandayar
A Treant

Server: Drinal

I get motion sickness really bad IF I play in first person. I usually play with the third person view, and do not have a problem. Anyone who gets sick in first person may want to try this. For some reason this Tomb Raider like view does not cause me any problems at all.
Nandayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #18
Hijiun
A Snow Cougar

Server: Karana
Send a message via AIM to Hijiun

The only motion sickness i have got was from riding a ride at a amusment park WAY to many times in a row ( 33 to be exact ) so i vote No... lol the funny thing is that my mom cant watch me or my dad play esp. when we are playin the two comps on either side of her lol she accualy vomited once after that there was no more EQ in the living room =(
Hijiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:54 AM   #19
syreen01
A Hill Giant

Server: cazic thule

I get a little motion sickness in the zones with all the moving trees

B...u..t th....e re...a...l p..ro...b..l...em is t...he L...ag..gy z....o...ne..s (You have been disconnected)

Syreen

Syreen's Damned Home
syreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #20
portenth
A Gray Wolf

Server: e'ci
Send a message via ICQ to portenth Send a message via AIM to portenth Send a message via Yahoo to portenth

I get bad motion sickness when levied. I use it very minimally, and click it off as soon as the need for it is over. Anything that can be done to help, I'd certainly be interested in.
portenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #21
tavokk
A Treant

Server: Luclin

No way, I even spin in place when casting a spell (helps me keep an eye out on what's going on around me in a 360º view).
tavokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:29 AM   #22
Endowen
A Ghoul

Server: Fierona Vie (Role-Playing)
Send a message via AIM to Endowen
Unhappy Spinning

I got a bad case of this a couple days ago, it was the first time it happened to me in my life. It was bad though, I had like vertigo and I felt like I was gunna puke. The room was spinning n' stuff. It's really weird because this has never happened 2 me b4...

- Endowen -
Endowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:39 AM   #23
FaerieFire
A Fire Beetle

Default Third person all the way

I almost decided not to play EQ because of the motion sickness issue. I've never been able ot play 3D games because of it. The first thing I did was switch to a third-person view (behind my character with the camera panned all the way down and a few feet visible above her head and below her feet). That helps most of the time, except when I'm invisible with no see-invisible or in a closed-in area like a city (Freeport is still no fun) or dungeon.

I still got very, very ill for the first few weeks I played, but I found it largely went away the more I played. The only time it's still a problem are in the closed-in areas and with invis. Still looking for a good, cheap see-invis item that will solve that problem on my rogue.

I know a few others who have the same problem, and the third-person view and time spent playing seem to lessen if not eliminate the problem.
FaerieFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #24
cern
A Fire Beetle

I have a friend who wont use levitate spell and will even click off spirit of eagle if its cast on her because the bobbing up and down makes her ill.
cern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:19 PM   #25
FuzieBeast
A Bat

Send a message via AIM to FuzieBeast

I get motion sickness too Levi and if i play first person. I have to play 3rd pesron = P
FuzieBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:30 PM   #26
loudface
A Treant

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I only get motion sick when I have Spirit of Eagle and am just standing still. All the bobbing up and down makes me sick.
loudface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:16 PM   #27
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

<yak> yep - bouncy makes me dizzy.

I get car sick, I've been fishing on Lake Superior (both calm and stormy <yak>).

I thinks its partly due to the strain of following the monitor refresh unconsciously by trying to focus on a point. The bounce up isn't so bad, you've actually increased your refresh rate, but on the bounce down, your refresh rate will "appear" to decrease becaause your eyes are travelling the same direction.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:58 PM   #28
Fezzig
A Gray Wolf

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzig
Unhappy

I have had this problem occasionally. In EQ it is usually only when exploring new zones for the first time. Lots of twisting and turning to see everything... And It seems to be even worse when playing a short char (Gnomes and Dwarves are the worst). Normal play doesn't bother me though.

Now when I got Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault, First night almost had me tossing my dinner. Beautiful graphics and extremely fast frame-rates engulfed me to the point of no return.

As to the question at hand, A framed or smaller window might help some people, but just adjusting the playing conditions might help more. Better lighting, ergonomics, and maybe a smaller monitor Might be a better solution.
Fezzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #29
Xymarra
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: E'Ci

I get motion sickness in real life, but I can avoid it most of the time in game. Things that are bad are:

- Small winding caves or tunnels.
- Moving too fast against the ground ... no wolf form, no short races.
- Levitation. *urk*
- Combat in forms that sway around a lot.
- Mouselook
- Narrow viewports.
- Slow frame rates.

Basically, I like nice smooth predictable motion. I don't need a tiny viewport.

I use a viewport in my UI, but that's more because I don't like having the view screen cluttered up with stuff than to prevent motion sickness. The wide viewports that cut off the top and/or bottom of the screen are bad for me.
Xymarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:19 AM   #30
Mallka
A Gray Wolf

Server: Rallos Zek
Unhappy

I get sick when i play especially when running thru tunnels and when I have SOE or DMF. And to make matters worse they have now got the lizzie's to buy and you look and feel like youre riding a bull, now that makes me sick as hell!
Rallos Zek
Temerity
Mallka is offline   Reply With Quote