Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 06-20-2003, 12:41 PM   #31
Raijuta
A Snow Griffin

Server: Druzzil Ro

I think this new expansion is going to be really good. Just curious in case I glanced over it when i read it. Did they say that they were going to release it in store or do that d/l deal again? I don't know about you but I would think that an expansion that big would most likely be put out on disc and sold in stores. Besides it would be easier on those who don't have credit cards or are useing the EQ prepaids.
Raijuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:58 PM   #32
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

It's going to be on store shelves, so you wont have to worry about a mega download. The disc is your friend.

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:47 PM   #33
kenwoodx2
A Shissar Disciple

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

It will also be available for download, but obviously that would only be recommended for someone with broadband access.. Even Legacy of Ykesha was available in stores for purchase.. They certainly haven't forgotten about the cash only crowd.
kenwoodx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #34
Mirion
A Treant

Server: Terris-Thule

Alrighty, I personally think that the IDEA behind LDoN is great...

BUT:

1) Isn't this made by the same people who admitted that they have released every version of the game BEFORE IT WAS COMPLETE, and BEFORE MOST OF THE BUGS HAD BEEN WORKED OUT?

2) Alright, that's all well and good that they SAY they will make a NEW dungeon for every group...but they admitted that there are 40 new zones...what they really said is that the mobs won't respawn once killed, etc...but what if there are two groups in the same zone? I mean, come on, it's not so unreasonable. The game is not going to INVENT new mobs, storylines, items, etc, EVERY TIME A GROUP GOES IN. So basically, it looks like if they want the system to work, ONLY ONE GROUP CAN BE IN A PARTICULAR ZONE AT ONCE!

Just a couple things to think about...remember, this is SONY we are dealing with...the company that hasn't finished an expansion yet.

<Int Officer of Loyal Rebellion>
Necromancer of Prexus Thule.
Mirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #35
Teddyboy420
A Snow Cougar

Server: Firiona Vie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirion
Alrighty, I personally think that the IDEA behind LDoN is great...

BUT:

2) Alright, that's all well and good that they SAY they will make a NEW dungeon for every group...but they admitted that there are 40 new zones...what they really said is that the mobs won't respawn once killed, etc...but what if there are two groups in the same zone? I mean, come on, it's not so unreasonable. The game is not going to INVENT new mobs, storylines, items, etc, EVERY TIME A GROUP GOES IN. So basically, it looks like if they want the system to work, ONLY ONE GROUP CAN BE IN A PARTICULAR ZONE AT ONCE!

Just a couple things to think about...remember, this is SONY we are dealing with...the company that hasn't finished an expansion yet.

Yes, that is exactly right, there will only be ONE group in ONE dungeon at ONE time. it's called instancing. It will not be possible for one group to be in the same dungeon as another group, because every time a group enters a dungeon, that dungeon and everything in it is created just for them. So, ONLY ONE GROUP IN A PATICULAR ZONE AT ONCE is exactly what it will be!

LDoN and alot of the other things they are adding to EQ is really just SOE practising for EQ2.

Last edited by Teddyboy420 : 06-24-2003 at 12:22 AM.
Teddyboy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #36
Aerasin
A Snow Cougar

Server: Drinal
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Mirion -

1) You can't really complain about this because I've yet to see a MMORPG release that was, per say, finished and not full of bugs. Until the technology comes along to signifigantly reduce development time (which will reduce the cost and not force publishers to push the game out the door) you're going to see the same scenario over and over again.

2) You obviously don't understand instancing. 40 zones merely indicates that there will be roughly 40 unique dungeon templates to explore. With instancing the server can produce several copies of the zone (or template, whatever you want to call it) for exclusive use of one group. One group is in one copy, while another group is in another. I imagine there will be slight differences as it sound like the content (IE monsters and loot) will be tailored towards the group that enters. Once you've finished with that zone, your copy tailored to your needs is removed off the servers.

The beauty of this is that it will be impossible for someone else to camp your dungeon. Not only that, but the dungeons will be tailored in such a way that you have to travel through them, instead of sitting in one spot (since the monsters don't respawn). Sounds like a winning combination to me.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:40 PM   #37
Firebat68
A Gray Wolf

Default Yes, they need to atleast make it able for duos to go

I hate to say it but i'm another big soloer... I like to do things on my own, dunno kinda makes it more "fun". Not to say that I don't talk to ppl while I do it cuz I do. It's just... well I don't have to listen to them when I do it. For instance my latest alt is a monk... I like him cuz I can solo and I don't like to group cuz it usually means they want me to pull. So instead I just find a good place with good xp to solo unless I can join a group in which single pulling actually has a point.

Chugsii lvl 55 drood
Xraksis lvl 25 Monk
of
Maelin =P
Firebat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:26 PM   #38
Vishuz
A Treant

Server: E'Ci

If you don't like pulling... retire your monk before level 50 at lthe latest because thats why groups will invite you. And when you say you don't want to pull, they will kick you out and replace you with a rogue.

And yes you will eventually have to group for exp. Eventually things start hitting you too hard for it to be viable.

Back on topic...

LDoN sounds fun... I just hope the exp is in-line with PoP, otherwise... you guessed it... it will be deserted, like LoY zones are now.

I know a lot of people like dungeons... but a lot of people like the good exp you get from PoP zones as well. The sheer fact that more people want to hunt in tier 1 PoP zones than Sebilis proves that for most people, exp is more important than loot... at least when dealing with exp groups.

As for the raiding guilds... I have little to no sympathy for them not having anything to do. Just in PoP, almost every zone has something to raid. Maybe it wont be as good of loot as some higher level PoP raid... but I mean really.

They can kill Xanamech, Manatech Behemoth, Grummus, Saryn, Terris Thule, Mithaniel Marr, Rallos Zek, Tallon Zek, Vallon Zek, Agnarr, Corinav... the list goes on... not to mention the "minis" I dont even know about.

I hope that LDoN is a good trade-off between exp and loot. If its worse exp than PoP with sub-standard loot, people won't go. If its great loot but crappy exp I dont think many people will go either. Just a hunch.
Vishuz is offline   Reply With Quote