EQInterface Forums

EQInterface Forums (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help ! ? ! ? (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Target Indicator not showing (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11000)

Qinadwen 11-05-2003 04:40 PM

Target Indicator not showing

Hey all.

I wonder if anyone can help me, I can seem to see my TargetIndicator - you know, the new thing that should be around my targets feet. It doesnt show up in my default skin either, anyone got anyidea as to what is wrong?

I'm thinking, that maybe something else needs turning on or up for it to work, just dont know what.

Anyone got any ideas or maybe the same problem?

Regards
Qinadwen Loreseeker

Sisca 11-05-2003 04:49 PM

Sounds like you're missing some files, see This Post .

Qinadwen 11-05-2003 05:15 PM

I tried that, still doesnt work...my default UI (provided by Sony) doesnt show the indicator either...but thanks for responding.

Dolby 11-05-2003 05:21 PM

Make sure in the options its enabled then you need to totaly exit Everquest all the way back to the login screen.

Theres a thread in the patch forum that kinda explains this written by Aario.

Qinadwen 11-05-2003 05:59 PM

I read that post even before i tried to start EQ first time after patching...always visit this first before booting EQ... :D

The really weird thing is that i cant see the indicator in Sony's default skin either, what other settings will affect this feature? Like the draw distance or spell particles or something like that

Thank for replying, all off you ... it shows a lot of concern and involvement ;)

Mutley 11-05-2003 06:22 PM

Same thing here

I also cannot see the new targeting around the feet, and I've done everything posted here and in the Patch forum... several times in fact.

Same thing in the default UI, no targeting around the char.

Ssmokey 11-05-2003 06:34 PM

For the record, I had the same problem, and copying the files worked for me. So you may have a different issue altogether if yours still isnt working.

kenney 11-05-2003 06:39 PM

same here even default dont work??

Flyynt 11-05-2003 07:12 PM

The default UI was/is buggy on mine as well. I copied the files like the previous post said and now it works with no problem.

Cairenn 11-05-2003 07:20 PM

Afraid I can't help you out here either guys. If you have copied the two files into your custom folder and have it turned on in the Options Window (alt O, second tab) it should work. It is working fine for me.

Qinadwen 11-05-2003 07:22 PM

Maybe i should try to delete the 2 original files and have EQ patch them again and see if that works ... Sony always suggest something like this - had trouble zoning into Freeport once and a GM suggested that i deleted all Freeport zone files and have EQ repatch them and see if that helped. So maybe that will work.

Cairenn 11-05-2003 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zone
Maybe i should try to delete the 2 original files and have EQ patch them again and see if that works ... Sony always suggest something like this - had trouble zoning into Freeport once and a GM suggested that i deleted all Freeport zone files and have EQ repatch them and see if that helped. So maybe that will work.

That isn't a bad idea at all. Please let us know if it works. :)

Qinadwen 11-05-2003 08:19 PM

Well, i tried deleting the files and repatching them - together with this thread with no effect, i still cant see the indicator, but all the rest of you should try it, maybe you all will have more luck than i have, :(

Cairenn 11-05-2003 08:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

At this point, I'm out of suggestions for things you can try. Time for you to head over to SOE's Tech Help forums. Hopefully Roger will have an answer for you. I've given him a heads-up on this problem in case they haven't heard about it yet.

Good luck, and sorry I wasn't able to solve it for you (and everyone else having this prob). :(

Qinadwen 11-05-2003 08:46 PM

No problem m8 - i can still play the game. I will just keep watching the forums and see if something turns up.

I really appreciate your help and devotion to your users. :)

Cairenn 11-05-2003 09:06 PM

Okay, straight from SOE's Tech Help forum, this thread posted by Roger Sewell:

Quote:
Question: Why doesn't the Target Indicator Work?

Answer: TargetIndicator.ini and TargetIndicator.tga were downloaded via the patcher and they are in the EverQuest\uifiles\default folder. If you are running any kind of Custom UI Skin, neither one of those 2 files will get loaded, and you won't see the 3D Target Indicator in game. TargetIndicator.tga is not referenced in EQUI_Animation.xml, which means it is not "really" part of the UI, but part of the game itself (Yes this may be somewhat confusing for someone that doesn't modify UI's regularly). This is typically only a problem because at some point, you've run a Custom UI and one of the 2 files listed below, is reflecting that and causing a problem.

Here's what's happening:

There is a line in your EQClient.ini file that reads:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UISkin=default (It reads "default" if you aren't running a Custom Skin)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever this reads, is what is loaded before the "Character Selection" screen when the blue bar is loading EverQuest with the picture of Firiona Vie.
There are some lines in your UI_<CharacterName>_<ServerName>.ini that read:

quote:

(Main)
UISkin=default (It reads "default" if you aren't running a Custom Skin)
GlobalFadeDelay=500
ContextMenus=1 (1 = TRUE)
UseTellWindows=1 (1 = TRUE)

Whatever this reads, is what is loaded after the Character Selection Screen, but before you enter the game. Your values (as quoted above) may be different depending on what you have setup in the game. So, basically it works like this.
When you get to the Character Selection Screen, it is reading the UISkin=default from the EQClient.ini file. When you log into the game, you are reading the UISkin=default from the UI_<CharacterName>_<ServerName>.ini file.

So unless these are set correctly, the 3D Indicator Window will not work.

Also, I've pointed him (Roger) to this thread directly as being the main thread on our board, in the hopes that it'll help them track down any other reasons that may be preventing it from working for folks.

xarquid 11-05-2003 09:34 PM

The Fix

Common fix is upgrading to most current version of DirectX

http://www.microsoft.com/directx

Good luck.

Qinadwen 11-05-2003 10:16 PM

I had a thought: "If i read this correctly, basicly it means that (if we want to use the indicator) we always have to start EQ with the default skin and then load our custom skin ingame for it to work."

But no...that doesnt work either, still no indicator with both lines reading DEFAULT in both files.

(not even with DX9.0b, which should be the newest)

Zenlaugh 11-05-2003 11:13 PM

Target indicator

Yeah I'm another one that's tried copying the files after letting EQ repatch them.. still nothing.
I haven't tried switching to 32bit mode yet or tweaking the other options in eqclient.ini (mipmapping, tinting, etc.) but I'm going to if nobody else finds a fix before sony does.
Anyone else who still can't get this prob fixed; how are you running the game?
I'm running 800x600 under WinME, no new models, 128mb RAM, Intel 810e video, directx 9.

zonnai 11-05-2003 11:49 PM

I can log on test server and use any UI, custom or default and the indicator always works.

But... that being said, the "easy" fix for live server is to copy TargetIndicator.INI and TargetIndicator.TGA to the custom UI dir...

Isnt that posted somewere? Thought I read it here... anyways, I cant get the INI file to actually change anything and im too lazy to keep /camp desktop and login to test it :/

mulluane 11-06-2003 12:40 AM

I copied the 3 new Target files into my infiniti folder, I now get the ring arounfd the targets feet but not around the target box. Funny thing is, ring around target box worked just fine on test server using the same UI without any pasting needed.

Mutley 11-06-2003 02:25 AM

I'm running 2 systems and neither will show the target glow or however it should look under the target mob. The target box coloring does show correctly.

One system is Win98 running at 32-bit and 800x600. The other system is WinXP Pro running at 32-bit and 1024x768. Both have newest DX installed, version 9.0b.

Both have AMD processors (remembering back to pretty teal blue days with AMD instead of gold due to programming at the beginning of EQ).

spellcaster 11-06-2003 02:38 AM

I found if I deleted my files eg everything with my characters name in, it reset it and it worked.. not exactly a great answer though.

Haliken 11-06-2003 04:21 AM

You guys are WAY wrong, go to this thread now and you'll see how to fix this:
http://www.eqgui.com/showthread.php?postid=57966

Enok

P.S. - Would an admin please delete this thread, it's just getting people confused. The last few posters are jumping to wrong conclusions.

Mordukay 11-06-2003 04:49 AM

A guildy if mine found a way to fix this problem

/loadskin default 1

/indicator on

/loadskin custom 1

There is your target ring :)

Qinadwen 11-06-2003 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haliken

Enok

P.S. - Would an admin please delete this thread, it's just getting people confused. The last few posters are jumping to wrong conclusions.

I tried this and a few others peeps have posted and none of them works ... i still have no indicator, not even on my default UI.

And apparently i am not the only one with this problem, other have posted far more advanced ways to get it to work (like deleting all custom files) and still with no luck.

There is an issue with this indicator and since the servers are brought down today for an "emergency update" i would hope that Sony is looking into it.

Cairenn 11-06-2003 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Haliken

Enok

Haliken, read what I posted from the SOE Tech Help board. There are on-going problems with this that nothing seems to be fixing. Roger is aware of this issue (I've pointed him to this thread) and I've no doubt that he has made the rest of the SOE EQ team aware of the problem(s) and that they are all looking in to it.

Therefore, no, this thread shouldn't be closed, as it has been designated as the main thread on this board to deal with this problem, and this is the one that SOE will come to.

forry 11-06-2003 09:44 AM

I'm having some touble of my own, but its different from most of these above. I am able to get the target ring around the MOB to appear by copying the 2 needed files into my custom UI folders. The problem that I'm currently trying to fix is the color that appears in the target window itself...its not showing up on my interface. If I load the default UI, its there, but my personal UI won't show.

I logged into the Test server last month when the changes were announced and fixed up the target window con to work with the forry UI. I even have a picture of it somewhere on one of these threads. The day before the patch I again logged into the Test server just to double check to make sure everything worked and to fix up another part of my UI. The target window con was there and working properly. I signed out and came back a couple hours later, repatched, and signed back into the Test server to find that the target window con wasn't working. I've double checked code, graphics, alpha channels, etc. and can't find anything that would be messing this up.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in (if it is you can remove this post), but I figured since SOE reps would be coming to this post to check on the targeting problem, I should at least put this information out there.

Cairenn 11-06-2003 10:07 AM

Forry, did you remove the <TextureInfo Item ="Targetbox.tga"> back out of the Animations file and put it in the Target window?

forry 11-06-2003 10:33 AM

Cairenn...all I have to say is WOW!!! :p You're Good!!! I didn't even take notice to that being moved. I don't use a custom Animation file so I wasn't paying attention to some of the changes taking place there. Thanks a bunch!