EQInterface Forums

EQInterface Forums (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help ! ? ! ? (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lock-ups / screen freeze (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11432)

zunlood 11-30-2003 04:29 PM

Lock-ups / screen freeze

I am getting random screen freezes which require a hard reset (turn off computer) to restart.

I have an Emachine, AMD 2Ghz, 250W Power supply, 512MB Ram, DSL connection, Radeon 9600 vid card, and all EQ expansions.

Any Ideas?

Have tried multiple drivers

Cairenn 11-30-2003 04:44 PM

Post your UIError.txt log file. Let's make sure it isn't a problem with your custom UI, since that's what this place is all about. ;)

mortis42 11-30-2003 04:48 PM

Did your machine come with that hardware? 250watt PSU seems a bit small for a 2GCPU and ATI9600.

zunlood 11-30-2003 04:49 PM

All that is in this file is:

UIErrorLog created at Sun Nov 30 15:38:38 2003

Didn't realize I was in the wrong area to post this - do you have a suggestion for the correct forum for my problem?

zunlood 11-30-2003 04:51 PM

Radeon 9600 was added after purchase, also, checked running voltages, the 5V reading is only about 4.76 v - others are just under what they need to be. Would a power supply upgrade be a fix? and if so how big?

Cairenn 11-30-2003 06:19 PM

It's okay, you can leave the message here. I was just attempting to tease a bit, sorry.

Unfortunately, when it comes to hardware, etc, I'm way way out of my league and will be the first to admit it. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

On a different, although related note ... there should be more than that in your UIError.txt log file, presuming you are using a custom UI. If you are just using the default, then that is okay.

Anyway, sorry again, didn't mean to make you feel bad, really was just teasing a bit.

veeshan_darroch 12-01-2003 05:53 AM

I'd check the temp of your CPU's and Video card. Everquest is really hard on both.

I had this problem on my system and learned that my video card was heating up and causing my CPU to overheat making the machine pretty unreliable.

Adding fans logically on my computer fixed it. This consisted of:

1. Replacing my CPU Fans (I have 2 CPU's) with higher performance ones.
2. Adding a fan that blows outside air directly over the video card.

Most important:
Cleaning out all the dust bunnies that collects in your computer. Especially the power support exhaust.

On EQ's Knowledge Base:
http://help.station.sony.com/esuppo...DisplaySymptom=

Search for:
everquest crash freeze

Read:
EverQuest: Game freezes or crashes when it rains during gameplay.

--Dar

zunlood 12-01-2003 06:26 AM

Checked temps immediately after the reboot from a crash. System temp was 43C andCPU temp was 48C. The "idling temp" is usually 39C and 42C respectively. Not sure if that is good or bad. Will check the suggested threads - thanks:)

Lothay 12-01-2003 07:10 AM

I have an ATI9600 video card in one of my boxes, and I distinctly remember reading in the manual that the card required a 350 watt power supply.

If I could find the booklet, I'd quote it.

Alyson 12-01-2003 07:26 AM

As a matter of fact, for the power req of your system (Athlon 2000+ and Radeon 9600) you should definitely upgrade your power supply to a minimum of 350W. This will prevent a power supply failure in the furure as it is working hard to give you more than it's capable...

CPU and Videocard are the major power eaters in a computer and you are really short on power.

Zantaklawz 12-01-2003 09:35 AM

Be careful with EMachines though... A friend of mine wanted to upgrade his EM's power supply as well and found out that most brands out there are not compatible with EM power supply location (as the machines are built rather small). You might end up having to purchase the power supply from the EM website strictly (just as my friend had to do). Just thought I would pass on the warning.

veeshan_darroch 12-02-2003 04:52 AM

I was thinking that too. My Radeon 9800 has a separate power connection. Links directly into the power supply. Those cards "requires" massive power. I'm not sure if his card is feeding directly from the power supply or through the AGP slot. I don't think AGP only power requires massive amounts of power. But I guess it would never hurt to upgrade.

--Dar

exzyle2k 12-02-2003 07:16 AM

PS

Odds are likely it's a power supply problem. I had an old compaq that was running a 300 watt PS and I had frequent hangs and lockups.

The compatibility is all dependent on the motherboard and the hardware. If you're a techie, best thing to do would be drop by tigerdirect.com, pick up a case for $30 that has a PS in it that's 350 or more, and then switch out all the hardware. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Lothay 12-02-2003 11:03 AM

Found the manual for my ATI card. It specifically requires a 300-watt or higher power supply.