EQInterface Forums

EQInterface Forums (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Request (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   pipe dream: a preview program! (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135)

insomnlac 07-27-2002 10:33 PM

pipe dream: a preview program!

a typical modding session -
lets see if i put my health bar in the right place:

-double click on the eq icon
-wait for the patch server to finish
-click accept
-click connect
-enter password
-hit enter
-pick server
-wait....................
-pick character
-wait............

nope.

-tweak x,y coordinates
-hit save
-repeat

there must be an easier way!! can anyone make some kind of preview program, an xml compiler or something?

Sparr 07-27-2002 11:18 PM

this is gonna get deleted

I know a post like this will get deleted, but if you play in windowed mode (thanks to EQW from link removed open google and do a search, or send the link via PM) you can leave EQ running while you change things and just switch back and forth.

my modding session:

start eq
start textpad
change xml
/loadskin
change xml
/loadskin
change cml
/loadskin

PS: Sorry in advance to the admins, not sure if this is allowed here. If this gets deleted I wont post it again.

psychogears 07-28-2002 10:26 AM

Well what I do is I load a screenshot with the game w/o the windows (hit F10, that's what I'm talking about), then I just start drawing what I want to see on the window. If I have a very clear image of what I want, I make a new picture and start drawing out what I want to see, like a new gauge or something. Then I take that picture, cut and paste on the screenshot and see where I want to place it. I take note of the XY coordinates of the picture, the size of the picture, the XY coordinates of where I want the gauge to be, the size of the gauge, then I put those coordinates in the EQUI_Animations.xml, do a little math, put the gauge where I want it to be on screen, voila. I think the number of tweaks that have to be done at the most was like 3 or so for me, mostly due to spotting logical errors in the XML file.

Good luck

-TJ

WixenDaBomb 07-28-2002 12:38 PM

Not sure how good this will do you. But have you tried EQW?

Allows you to run EQ in a window. Hence you can jump back and forth from your notepad save it and then reload skin in EQ

Just a thought

Sparr 07-28-2002 12:50 PM

haha

OK, no linkage for me, sorry mr Admin.

WixenDaBomb, do you even bother to read the thread before you reply?

aepod 07-28-2002 01:20 PM

It would be great to write an editor for this. Something that could show what the elements look like, not just the code. I have been using xmlpad to edit them in conjunction with ultraedit... but thats far from good enough.
I think something like this would not be to teribly hard to write, perhaps in php or something so it can be a web app... One potential problem i see is the tga's a lot of web viers dont view them... You can only do so much with just the xml...
Another concern is that it would be a waste of time right now, I suppose prototyping and getting some of the basic stuff would not be, but I am guessing their may be a revision or two yet on the new gui....

just my thoughts.

Sodorfo 07-28-2002 01:30 PM

heck if verant would just update the tutorial to use the new ui it would make things easier