EQInterface Forums

EQInterface Forums (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General authoring help / discussion (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Editors (http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19034)

Halelen 05-12-2007 06:03 PM

Editors

Ok is there any program out there that will let you see what you are doing so ya dont have to keep logging in and out of EQ.

Hal

shillingworth 05-12-2007 09:45 PM

So far just SIDLWIDL/SIDLFIDL. Me and GreenDragon are both working on one, and I think Myx is working on an installer with the same capabilities.

Tough editing with EQ up long as your in window mode you can edit the files while EQ is running. Though lower spec system will have a problem with doing it that way (run slow perhaps). I do most of my editing on a P4 HT machine so I can just toss my editor on the second core of the cpu to prevent cpu usage problems, Core 2 Duos have the same capability if you have a machine with either of those CPUs.

fenrian1 05-12-2007 10:24 PM

Even with Sidlwidl you dont always get what you expect when you load it ingame. Somethings like bags end up completely different and it does not support nested windows, so things like the tradeskill container are easier to mod with notepad. Sidlwidl also has a very bad habit of capitalizing things that need to be in lower case. I use it for fast visual editing, but still do the majority of my work in notepad.

We are all waiting with baited breath to see the 2 editors that are in the works on this site=).

Halelen 05-12-2007 10:34 PM

Yea i use Xray to edit with but was looking for something that would let ya see the windows as you were making them... right now i just run xray and eq but was hoping something was out there that would let me do it outside of eq

fenrian1 05-13-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halelen
Yea i use Xray to edit with but was looking for something that would let ya see the windows as you were making them... right now i just run xray and eq but was hoping something was out there that would let me do it outside of eq

SidlWidl is a visual editor, you can see the stuff, drag and drop items, stretch things to fit, etc. it just doesnt have the data for EQ's hardcoding. So, when you make mods to things like bags, it will show you what it should look like, but when you load it, you still see the ugly spacing that is hardcoded into it.

Halelen 05-13-2007 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillingworth
So far just SIDLWIDL/SIDLFIDL. Me and GreenDragon are both working on one, and I think Myx is working on an installer with the same capabilities.

Tough editing with EQ up long as your in window mode you can edit the files while EQ is running. Though lower spec system will have a problem with doing it that way (run slow perhaps). I do most of my editing on a P4 HT machine so I can just toss my editor on the second core of the cpu to prevent cpu usage problems, Core 2 Duos have the same capability if you have a machine with either of those CPUs.

Hmm very interesting...How does one go about loading something on the second core???? Imagine the possibilities :nana:

shillingworth 05-13-2007 09:08 AM

It doesn't work for games while they are running but here is how you can do it if your CPU is dual-core.

When you load EQ's patcher, ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager. Go into processes. Find Everquest.exe, right click, Set Affinity, make sure just one (the first is most stable) core is selected. Then click play.

Same process works for any other program.

Keep in mind, vital systems are kept on the first core because it is the most stable of the 2. But the second core is more than stable enough for say, photoshop/gimp, xml editors, and the like. This same process can be applied to 2 boxing as well to get each EQ on it's own core, but wouldn't stop EQ from going into background mode. Basically it helps keep EQ from lagging your editors while your working on something, like photoshop can run very slow if EQ is running on the same core as it.

There are also programs, like WinLauncherXp that are capable of launching games on core's of your choosing (supports up to 8). But that is a bit more complicated to set up.

Halelen 05-13-2007 10:49 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the info, dont realy have a problem running them both though i just am lazy and dont like changing something then reset ui in game ...go back change it more reset ui.. :) Hey I know Sony should make it so that as ya change it updates automatically so ya could be windowed and as ya type you could watch the change...yeah thats the ticket... :nana: :nana:

Dare to Dream :)