View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Stoplaughin
A Tundra Mammoth

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Texture Artifacts

I was working on updating my UI and I ran into a rather annoying issue. Many of my textures have strange artifacts in EQ. It seem like its caused by a horrendous stretching algorithm. It seems like this should be a common issue unless I'm doing something wrong, but I wasn't able to find any threads similar to my issue.

One example is when I tried to make the main window border one pixel black. I made it 64 pixels long so that the texture wouldn't have to be tiled as much for larger windows. Sure enough I had a one pixel border, but about 15% from the left side and about 20% long was a darker color but noticeably far from black on the bottom of all the windows with borders. The lighter bar followed those proportions no matter the size. I filled those 64 pixels with black several times to be sure. Checked the alpha channel several times. Neither of those fixed it. Then I shrank it to 16 pixels long and problem solved.

I have had other artifacts with other textures. It seems common with textures with hard edges. Usually changing the size of the texture only makes it worse. Another example is a button texture. Even when the button is the same size as the texture there are artifacts. On the left is a screen shot in EQ and the right is from the texture file.

Anyone else experienced this issue? Tips on how to minimize it? The only thing I have found is to soften the edges. Or am I missing something?
Stoplaughin is offline   Reply With Quote