Thread: Gimp - Beware!
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 08:27 AM   #1
aviendha101
A Tundra Mammoth

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Gimp - Beware!

Okay, well I tested out Gimp last week. It seemed like a really great program-- especially for a freebie!

But I ran into a HUGE problem.

It completely CRASHED my Windows 2000 machine. To the point where I had to reinstall. I uninstalled Gimp once I started having problems (it had to have been related to Gimp, because right after I installed it none of my other Graphics programs would work on that machine). At first I suspected a virus, but McAfee and Norton both said "No way!"

Sooo... I reinstalled Win2k (total format of hard drive) and installed all my software (except Gimp) and of course everything's working great...

Sooo, the moral here is: Be careful what you download and install on your computer. :P Gimp seemed like a great piece of software, I liked the interface a lot. But it just didn't seem to like Win2k.

I haven't tried it on my Windows XP machine, and I won't. I'm just going to cough up the money and get PSP 7 (my favorite program so far).

Just my little warning to you all!

NOTE: The version of Gimp available for download is a BETA (says so on the website). This article is by NO MEANS a means of slighting their software. Like I said, it looked great and performed well. But for Win2k users at least, you may want to wait til the full version comes out instead of trying the beta.