Old 10-18-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghismonda
snip
So where to start? I've read the tutorials and the SIDL docs. Should I download a WYSIWYG, or will a lightbulb click for me for XML like it did for HTML? In the expert opinion of experienced EQUI developers, is Caleal's 2.0 original UI coded strongly enough that I won't be piecing things together as I go to update it? I've read about finding a UI that you like (check!) and figuring out how you want to fix it (check!) and fiddling with it until you get what you like. I've been starting with the spell gem window and running into some problems adding the 9th gem. Is this a good place to start, or would you recommend a different window to begin learning and experimenting on?
/snip

imho, if HTML "clicked" for you then you should have very little trouble with XML. Basically if you can hard code HTML then you should be able to hardcode XML. My experience has kept/driven me away from the WYSIWYG XML editors as the errors I ran into with the editor drove me crazy. There are several good text editors out there for free that will definately make the coding easier.
On a separate note, starting with the spell gem window *should* be a good place as you are merely adding something that is already in the window 8 times and making some minor changes to get it where you want it and calling to the proper EQ Type.

In the end Good Luck in your endevour and as previously stated there are many people that will be very happy when you get this UI updated. The key is to make it such that you are happy with it, if alot of others are happy with it also then that is gravy (you won't be able to mod it to everyones liking )
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote