View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 01:34 AM   #36
Nanan
A Snow Cougar

Server: saryrn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I see no reason why weapons would need to be individually coded for animations. There are how many weapon types, 1hs 1hb, piercing, 2hs, 2hb, 2hp, h2h, and shield (bash/slam) so that gives us 8 weapon positions. It seems like they should only need to code these 7 animations to use the various weapons unless they did not make any attempt at a standard grip spot on the weapons. All 1hs or 2hb should be held the same to start with not different for each item model. As for armor, there should be 3 types of armor per race. If they did away with the velious armor graphics they could dump several files of redundant graphics which are not used anyway with SoL char models.

So we have 15 races, 4 armor types per race for a total of 60 armor graphics x 8 visible slots so 480 pieces of armor to design. Then it goes to weapons 15 races x 8 weapon types for a total of 120 weapon holding positions. Animations should be the same for movement in the armor types so that is negated, attacking animations are another story. For the attack animations there are like what not even 10 movements? For spell casting there are maybe 20 animations but most are just copy/pastes from other animations. Then we go into char animations, lets be generous here and say there are 40 total per race.

I am not seeing why this should be that hard, any competent animator should be able to crank out most of this inside a month, and if this work was distributed across a few people it could be done in a few weeks. The only hard part I see in the whole project is the actual char models themselves which if they want to avoid issues of the past like, the doe eyed "special" children that SoL gave.