View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 08:23 AM   #1
Tellgar
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default EQ and dynamic ambient music?

Everquest is (in most aspects) my favorite game of all time. There is very little I can really complain about... but everyone has their gripes and groans about certain parts. This be mine!

What happened to mood setting music? This was, and still is, my biggest disappointment in the game. The music got turned off a heck of a long time ago, and it definitely wasn't very impressive to begin with.

For now, I use good ole WinAmp to play mp3 files while I'm clicking away in the world of EQ. It spices things up a bit, especially loading up a certain playlist during certain activities, such as exploring, fighting, travel, and questing. It gets me by and keeps me from going insane during the more uneventful periods in the game.

Now for what I'm really getting to... something I haven't seen... and been wishing for. Ambient music for EQ! I've been hoping that one of these releases VI might surprise me and come out with a revamp of the horrible midi system it currently employs. I've lost faith, it seems it just isn't in the cards.

But...

Maybe it isn't hopeless after all... a program that was developed for parsing the log file and returning audio feedback in real time caught my attention. Most of you are probably familiar with it, EQWatcher. It led me to ponder if it might be possible to develop a program that takes over where Verant left off. Am I the only one wishing for something such as this?

Via monitoring (in real time) of the log file, would it be possible to create an ambient music atmosphere by setting playlists in WinAmp based on input from the log monitor program? Even better, using your own MP3 files if desired? Oh how I would love that!

Using EQWatcher, I managed to accomplish this - in a manner. Setting keys to certain events, such as autoattack being engaged, the death of a mob, etc. It was certainly interesting, but not quite effective. Due to limitations of the program, and the use of sync/non-sync sound events - the result was choppy at best.

The question/challenge I'm setting forth is; can this be accomplished? Is there someone out there with the knowledge, and desire to make this daydream a reality?

Discussion, comments, and ideas are more than welcome.
Tellgar is offline   Reply With Quote