View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
Fyste
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I looked at the code in the Soes stuff that does the color changing yesterday...

13 years of C / C++ coding, and I'm gonna tell ya... whoever wrote that was VERY good, and a little twisted

I could tell you what it does, it's pulling some tricks by creating different color bars that are bigger than they really are, then overlapping them in sections so as one empties out, the next color becomes visible.

What I can't tell you is WHY it works. Talk about twisted... creating a bar that's 10000 pixels long, then offsetting by 8000 ( + some wierd value ) and overlapping the visible bar background... and each sucessive bar color is both shorter, and offset by a different amount... WHY in the world that displays at all, never mind does exactly what he wants, is beyond me

Your best bet with that code would be, copy and paste the entire chunk of color changing gauge code, then copy the window_pieces TGA file and rename it to something unique. Change the reference in the gauge code to the new filename, and you can ignore everything else in the TGA file.

That SHOULD give you a new color changing gauge. You'll have to do that either in the window file you want to change, or in your Animations file ( if you're already using a custom one ).

You'll be stuck with the look of the Soes gauges, which could be a problem if your UI looks significantly different. And the size too, although if you're REALLY careful about updating sizes you should be able to change the gauge size without distorting it... I think.

I haven't tried it yet... but I know I wouldn't change that TGA file, even to try and paste the gauge graphics into my own. Not without understanding what the wierd offsets do and why they work...

Good luck!

edited for terrible spelling

( My Interfaces ) ( RETIRED )
Fyste is offline   Reply With Quote