View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #37
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I'll have to set up a new download site.

Looks like I have to rewrite the section of code that fetches pieces from other files. I was just using a bunch of elements in a single file to test things out, but when I tried one that isn't in my test xml file, it turns out that it's having problems keeping unused but loaded images (like the flyby animation of a button when it's normal) loaded while they aren't in the file with the element being interacted with. Probably just some flaw of my design, I've been having it load images into memory only when they are used to prevent out of texture memory errors (true me they are easy to get when your dealing with the massive animations file).

Input seems to work good, I coded the elements so that they have three behaviors: Editable, which is used when editing the element, like entering text into a label or stretching it's boundaries; Playable, which acts as closely as I can get it to in-game; and Dead, doesn't do anything but draws it's base type, like a combobox wouldn't extend it's sub-menu in this mode or mouse over on buttons wouldn't trigger flyby animations. The behaviors can be changed at any point once the element has at least an item name in the xml data.

I've already added a method for loading screen shots in the editor, can add any image type to the background image or just set the background to a color.

Overall this is getting to the point where it's more fun than work, though I do dead the thought of getting the behaviors right on every last element at each of their sub levels.

My plan for now is to get all the elements to load visually, to the point of basic positioning of them on the screen and interpreting that to the xml data. I may tweak the loading stuff later after I get the basics going but for now it's still a minute or two to load the default UI.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote