Thread: Graphics help
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002, 12:00 AM   #3
Muse
EQ Atlas Webmaster

An addendum to what I wrote above:

I'm wondering if they've changed the way they load textures, because when I wrote the above, it was definitely true that a texture who had a size labelled larger than it actually was would get stretched and look badly. Now, however, it doesn't seem to work that way. I may have just been wrong before, regardless, the following is now true.

Textures are loaded so that they use up 512x512 texture spaces. This means that a 200x200 picture would actually have a texture size setting of 512x512. A 200x600 picture would have a texture size setting of 512x1024 (since it's wider than the 512, so it needs two of those). You should continue to use these dimensions as I described above in the other components (i.e. the same as the texture size).

If you set the 200x200 pictures texture size to be 200x200, what it does is it allocates it into the 512x512 texture, and then shrinks it to fit into a 200x200 space, making it look quite small. You need to set them initially to fit that block and then it will work correctly.

Also (I'm not sure about this, though) this might not be quite right on non-nVidia boards (like Voodoos). It seems they might use a different size texture, so it loads them in odd ways. I don't have enough info to be sure, though. Besides, anyone still playing with a Voodoo should be shot for being silly.