View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 09:57 AM   #21
Gdaren
A Snow Cougar

Server: The Tribunal, Test
Send a message via Yahoo to Gdaren

Ok, from one that is behind what I would consider a extreme firewall set up, and still got nailed!! This is one of the more dangerous worms out there, it not only stops windows update from playing nicely but will also stop your anti virus software from phoning home for updates. Highly suggest that you get your updates manually (ie. go directly to the download, not via a software retrieve) and install them yourself. If you use the automated route you will get a security RPC breach (XP) and your system will shut down, before getting the patches...

A quick look ctrl/alt/delete then look in processes, if you see msblast.exe in there you are infected!! It was random for me on shutdowns, I could surf and game for hours without a problem. then if I went to do any kind of update (first noticed trying to update to the new Nvidia drivers), I would get the shutdown.

I am amazed that I got it on my main system that is protected, but the network downstairs that is on adelphia cable, and is practically open to the world did not... Could be that it was targeted at larger more corporate type systems vs the mom & pop systems on cable, dialup, etc...

Good Fortune to those that did not have a problem, and to those like myself that did get it well all ya can do is smile....

Gdaren is offline   Reply With Quote