View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Notepad++ already has XML syntax defined. Honestly creating plugins for existing software is much more of a pain than just writing an editor from scratch.

I've worked on a lot of indie game dev teams in the past 7 years, and every time we had to go the plugin route things took significantly longer. For example on one project we needed a plugin for the level editor that would repack all the images as tightly as possible into a single image file. I spent a few days trying to write a plugin for the level editor before I said "screw it" and wrote a tool from scratch in just a few hours. Of course not all plugin systems are that bad, some were easy to work with, but most impose harsh constraints on what you can do.

--

As far as getting back to the project. I have one debt that is holding me back from one of the qualifications for that job (doesn't even matter that I was paying it off slowly, simply have to pay it off entirely). So I've been working on getting that taken care of. On the up side the rep I talked with said they will most definitely have a position available as long as I can get it taken care of before summer.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote