Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2002, 11:13 PM   #10
psychogears
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Xev
Send a message via ICQ to psychogears Send a message via AIM to psychogears Send a message via Yahoo to psychogears

Akephalos,

I have no idea who you are referring to as "you", but if you're talking to me I didn't mean that you can't take gauges and labels and buttons from other windows and put them there. Lots of ppl have already done that, and I think it's very cool, and I think your window is nicely done as well.

However, I have trouble understanding some things, like how did you "disable" the target window, cast time window, and breath window? Are you talking about disabling them from within the XML file, or do you just toggle them off in game? What do they look like if you just toggle them off in game? Is it completely blank? I've heard people get errors because they don't have certain gauges in certain windows, like the pethp gauge when removed from the PlayerWindow screen item will cause errors, and when the PlayerWindow declaration is removed totally the client crasyes...

Perhaps you can remove some of those windows because they're not active all the time? Althought I suppose that wouldn't make sense, and it would make more sense for the program itself to just unhide and hide them, like the Casting and Breath window.

I don't know XML that well, I only started learning really when I took my first glance at the EQUI code which was like 3 weeks ago, and I'm still flipping through the XML files for the interface to see if I can learn anything new. But ya I still stand by my belief and will continue to do so until proven otherwise that certain things need to remain named as they are or at least if the name is changed then the reference to them in the XML file needs to be changed accordingly... Like for example, if you check ALL the XML files for the word "PlayerWindow" in that case, without the quotes of course, that you will only find 1 file with that word, which is the EQUI_PlayerWindow.xml file, where it is defined. This leads me to believe that as far as the XML files this is the top of the line for this particular instance of the Screen structure. The "thing" that references this lies within the actual game itself, in the realm of C code that says "okay, I need to load a player window, so I will look in the XML files and load the PlayerWindow Screen item" (note that I didn't specifically say EQUI_PlayerWindow.xml... I think the client looks first in EQUI.xml then loads all the files listed there, then collects all the bits and pieces of declared information like all the instances of Screen items, and maybe Gauges and Labels... not sure on what's collected)

phew! Well anyway, I'm pretty sure that wasn't laymen-friendly, but it's the most precise way I could think of to put it down. I would appreciate a counterpoint and a specific example, I will look at it and try to see where my logic is flawed.

-TJ

of Xev
psychogears is offline   Reply With Quote