View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
Aramil Dannodel
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Combine
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to Aramil Dannodel Send a message via MSN to Aramil Dannodel
Default Re: LDON Addition...

I think the devs' reasoning behind the whole Knowledge concept (and especially with the new Gunthak stone) is because those without the ability to become invisible (through a spell or class ability) were getting aggravated at having to shell out money constantly on invis potions just so they could leg distances through KoS zones that could potentially prove fatal...and then the corpse run usually ended up being even worse for them.

While I appreciate they're trying to help out those that don't have any form of invisibility to get them through areas that would be too much of a pain too, anyways, there have always been ways to circumvent that.
1) Get an invis buff from someone, and run like hell, crossing your fingers, toes, and many of the fine hairs covering your body that it doesn't thin out in the middle of a red-conning KoS area. Heh...those were fun.
2) Buy invis potions. /shrug
3) Find a Druid/Wizard and ask them nicely for a lift...chances are, if you are polite and don't just blather on with "d00d port plskthx", they'll be nice enough to teleport you, buff you, *and* not ask for a vital organ as your "donation".
4) /cough Hunt somewhere else. Heh.

Honestly, though, I definitely have to agree with Taleisin, Jethal and Qinadwen...boats > all. Sadly (and I'm not sure about otherwise) but as far as I know from the few servers I play on, the boats no longer even make any rounds...most are perma-docked, due to the devs' unwillingness to "fix" them...I recall just after the Planes of Power expansion shipped, I had petitioned regarding the boats, and the GM basically (all but used the exact words) "Buy the expansion, or feck off!". Boy, did I give him a chewing. /chuckle

If there's any new teleports I want to see out of Knowledge, though, it'd definitely be what Parasite mentioned...as stated Knowledge's ease of travel has spoiled players, and I know if I ever get invited to a group (with how slowly I zone), I get constantly badgered on my way out there "u still comin". Aside from the poor grammar involved, when I can breeze through Butcherblock with a topped SoW and 240ish AGI, unbuffed, I don't really think it's necessary to get two /tells in that zone, alone. /sigh
But then, that's the way the game has been evolving...it's more about speed. It is nice that you can grab a group anywhere across the world, now, whereas you were restricted to spamming LFG within a couple zones before (mostly due to people not even having the patience then to yell at you to run to their group from 20 zones away), but I feel it does detract from the magic of the game...
I recall a song (to which the name eludes me, at the moment) with a verse along the lines of "It's not about getting from point A to B, but the journey in between" (bear in mind those lyrics aren't exact...don't really feel like going through my CD booklets at the moment). But then, just my opinion on the matter. /shrug

Ameril Dan`nodel
Warder, 57th season
[ Lanys T`Vyl server ]
Aramil Dannodel is offline   Reply With Quote