View Single Post
Old 09-07-2002, 08:24 AM   #8
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda

The reason for the MIDI based engine is obviously size, as has been said before. But now verant is realizing that, while their game has come leaps and bounds in graphics technology and gameplay, its sound engine is still hobbling along, sometimes working sparingly, sometimes not working at all.

So they're revamping it.

Although the last patch made the sounds a bit "worse", in my opinion (simply meaning that the midi music is more jumpy and, as a gm i talked to recently put it, very "ethel murman-esque"), they're obviously working on it--and as they said, it will be a long road.

There's no excuse in these days for music in a high tech game to be lackluster and barely work. And verant recognises it, and fortunately, they're at least trying to do something about it. I've got a feeling that before it's through, we'll see much better ambient sound (a3d?) and perhaps a whole music system overhaul--though i doubt that they'd re-release the midis in a more dependable format simply because it would be such a huge file, they may do so in an expansion.

I'm sure that, if we wait a while, things will get better, and much more so. The actual tunes in the game are very nice; if only it had a system to make it shine. I'm holding out, because I think Verant will come through--eventually.
Fennin Ro"The Forgotten Server"
Go Kicky Fast Okay!
Casanunda is offline   Reply With Quote