Thread: UI newb!
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Yelara
A Shissar Defiler

Server: ayonae ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to Yelara Send a message via AIM to Yelara Send a message via Yahoo to Yelara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repentinus
P.S. How long should I expect before I can see a personally created UI? Weeks? Months? *gulp* Years?

Read the FAQs and tutorials here. There are posts that outline all of the EQ Types as well as other information you need to know to write EQUI XMLs

When you're ready, START SMALL. Don't try to creeate a T King or Cairenn or Drakah clone on your first try. UIs like Delta and WoW are very intricately coded with a lot of additional files added.

Find a UI you like - or pieces of a UI you like - and open the XML file in an editor (I use Cooktop but Wordpad works just as well) To begin with I'd choose a minimalist UI - one with as few graphics and "extra's as possible - to learn the basics of the EQUI XML code

Study the coding while looking at the window in EQ if possible and play around with changing some of the settings. Obvious ones to change would be sizes and locations of things like text labels and guages - and see how your changes affect the window itself.

When you have a handle on what governs what take the default file for the window you want to modify and start adding or changing it to what you want it to include.

Guaranteed you will break the UI more than a few times but that's a part of the process :P