Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2002, 02:26 AM   #32
Akephalos
A Ghoul

Id like to state that I never said that the UI had nothing to do with the exe. Of course it has to interact, but the pure definition of a UI is what you seem to be missing.

Spell gems are hard coded. The game allows only 8 of them in the hard code. The UI cant create more of them, of course not. The same thing with hotkeys. The game allows 10 per page. The hard coded exe sends that information to the UI. The UI takes that information and displays it. Yes, all of that is hard coded. What I do not believe to be hard coded are the windows. I dont forsee the hard code of the client saying

"You must have this one file in this exact spotin this exact window in the UI, or you cannot run EQ." That would use uneccessary processes from the computer, send unnecessary data between the server and the computer, and who knows what else.

I took a look at the section that you found that string. It appears as though that whole section of the code is listing the things that the UI picks up and displays. It also listed the TargetWindow, the BreathWindow, as well as just about every other thing that we have currently in the UI. I dont see one section of the code in that whole area that says anything about a requirement of inclusion, or any check and balance system of any sort requirement code either. I do however thank you for pointing that section out, I will see if I can decipher the code there a bit more, and see if there is anything exclusive between it and the UI.

There are just too may things in the unknown that neither you, nor I, can prove with any certainty. You know it, I know it. This thread was for people who understand xml (more then I) and have a similar belief that more can be done with the UI then the general people seem to think. For all we know, it could be a texture in the PetHP child element that is not loading properly, causing the issue, however, from the section of code you showed me, it doesnt show me much, aside from every file, and button we have in the UI, as well as references of where to save the default and preference information, where to store the UI errors, and a couple other things. It just doesnt say anything specific about the PetHP/PlayerWindow relationship/requirement.

Of course, that goes back to the, there are too many unknowns to really prove either side. The biggest thing you have is the fact that it doesnt work no matter what you try currently, and the biggest thing I have going for me is the fact that I know how xml works pretty well, and my UI is almost fully functional, with the exception of my empty windows where the PlayerWindow, and Spell Gems used to reside.

/shrug Its been a good conversation, we will just simply have to wait and see what happens as more information becomes available. Im not opposed to the possibility its not possible, I just dont have enough information to determine that its not possible right now. Once I get that, then hey, Ill jump right on the bandwagon with you =D

Untill then, Ill keep looking around, seeing what I can see and how many times I can crash =D

EDIT: Edetad fer gramtikal eror.
Akephalos is offline   Reply With Quote