View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 AM   #24
Derithon
A Fire Beetle

Default Share access issues

Sounds like your PCs are in a workgroup. As such, each PC has control of its own resources. Adding the Everyone group will not help in this case due to the Everyone group being specific to THAT PC. You need to think of PCs in a workgroup as self contained worlds - It only knows what it contains.

You need to create a user account on each PC that exists on the other (i.e. On Comp 1 you have user 1 and on Comp 2 you have user 2 - You need to create user 2 on Comp 1 and User 1 on Comp 2) You could also try to add the user from the other PC as a authorized user in the user manager (Right click on "My Computer", left click on "Manage", Left click on "Users & Groups") Depending on which PC is the Browse Master you MAY have issues hence my first solution.

Your other option is if you have a spare PC and a copy of some version of server (NT/2000/2003) you can create a Domain and join your PCs to the domain and have the domain control rights. It boils down to not having rights to access the data - not that you can't see the data.

Hope that helps.

Derithon

CT Server
Derithon is offline   Reply With Quote