View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 02:46 AM   #7
Innurok
A Treant

Server: Povar

I was in somewhat of the same predicament as you were. My Graphics card fried on me (GeForce 3 Ti500) and I was forced to buy a new one. Luckily, that graphics card was a special request, and there was a GeForce 2 something or other integrated graphics card on my MB. So I was still able to play EQ.

But, back on topic. I bought a ATI RADEON 9200 w/ 256MB RAM from www.newegg.com. I payed $67 for the card. $71 with S&H. I think I got a very solid deal.

I did look up comparisons. NVidia's competition to the Radeon 9200 is the GeForce 5200. I did comparisons between the cards before I bought them and I got mixed reviews. The GENERAL consensus was the GeForce out performed the Radeon on benchmarks, but every user comment I read swore by the Radeon outperforming the GeForce on games.

I have been using NVIdia for a while now, so I figured I'd buy the ATI. Test it out for myself, per say. I'm happy with my decision.

Something else to keep in mind, I heard from multiple, very reliable sources that the new/high-end graphics card of today (GeForce 6800, etc..) only slightly outperform the older model cards, but newly made. IE: A GeForce 6800 will only outperform a GeForce 5200 (made in the last 1/2-1year) marginally. In essense, older chipset cards that are newly made will offer the best 'bang for the buck'; the least price for the bigger jump in performance.

Besides, for me, the 9200 was a step up from what I had. Which I was having 'minor' problems with if anything. Partially due to me cranking the settings up so high though. So I had no problem paying $70 for a higher graphics card. I didn't want to blow $200-300 on a card that I solely used for EQ. So I got the ATI Radeon 9200.

My personal suggestion is to do the same, if you are looking for the least expensive graphics card. Of course, if you are willing to spend a little more, go for the Radeon 9600, etc... or the NVidia equivelant.

Between the two. It seems you are doing your research, so just go with that. My presonal experience is NVidia works well. It is easy to get drivers, and their cards are reliable enough. I got a good 3 or 3 1/2 years out of my card. And for ATI. I've heard they are reliable. But I can't say anything from first hand experience (Talk to me in about a year )