View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #8
CashewChicken
A Gray Wolf

nVidia has not been nice to me. The PCI card I bought a long time ago because the computer I'd been using had integrated graphics just got slower and slower (with the same game, mind you). Now if I try it it doesn't even work. Currently I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro and its been VERY reliable. I've never had any visual problems, never had any driver problems with newest drivers at the time, and the only thing I liked better about the nVidia cards was how nVidia had proprietary stereo 3-d drivers that worked with my E-D glasses. Also, the similar performance nVidia cards tended at the time of my purchase to cost a lot more. The 9700, as of spring a couple years ago, cost $300. It was, at that point, either a step below the 9800 Pro or was the highest. nVidia's cards offered poorer performance and cost about the same. I went with the ATI. In another computer I've <i>built</i> I used a 9600XT. Its able to run about the same stuff that my 9700 Pro is, albeit slightly slower. I can run shadows in very low population zones on my 9700 computer, but the hassle of switching them off has me just leave them that way. I also use old models because it zones SO much quicker like that (doesn't make much difference to shadows what model it is, same results with detaileds). Probably a memory issue.
CashewChicken is offline   Reply With Quote