View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 12:35 AM   #10
Neori
A Snow Cougar

Server: Tunare
Send a message via ICQ to Neori

Thanks for all the advice on this guys. It's made me feel a lot more confident about possibly switching to an ATI card if I want to go down that road.

I only have one more problem though. A short while ago, I had access to a GeForce 5700 LE 128MB video card to try out on my computer. As I believe I mentioned above, I'm using a GeForce4 MX440 128MB (and it's only SDR memory on there too) card, and it's set to 4X... which I think is the highest my motherboard supports, with AGP 2.0. When I tried the 5700LE card, the system powered up, but didn't boot to BIOS, just a black screen and none of the usual system beeps from the PC speaker to indicate that anything was even happening that I just couldn't see. So I'm a bit concerned that my motherboard is just too old to handle the newer cards.

Does anyone know anything about the PC Chips M920 series motherboard, or know of any sites that would have info on what is compatible with it? I've checked my manual/docs, checked the manufacturer's website, and even tried to email their tech support. I cannot seem to find out details about the motherboard beyond that it supports AGP 2.0 (as stated in the manual/docs) and that the highest setting in the BIOS I believe was 4X. I need to know what voltage the AGP on this runs on. My S.O.'s motherboard, a newer SOYO board, says it supports only 1.5V AGP cards (it does not support 3.3V, but also doesn't mention support for 0.8V either). I read on ATI's website for example that their newer cards support AGP 4X (1.5V), AGP 8X (0.8V), or Universal AGP 3.0 bus conifiguration (4X/8X), as stated on the ATI page for the Radeon 9600 Series. I'd hate to get a brand new card, only to find that I'd have to also buy a new motherboard, processor, and memory as well as reinstall everything (Windows included) to go with a simple video card upgrade.

I know that's pretty a technical question to ask, but I'm hoping someone knows or knows someone who knows, or knows someone who knows someone who knows.
Mandayilie D'Seet - 51 enchanter
Kinyrae F`Lorn - 54 necromancer
-----------------------------------
[re-retired]
-----------------------------------
Former Guildmistress of Angelfire Glory - Tunare server
Neori is offline   Reply With Quote