Thread: SoesUI 1.6
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 12:30 AM   #15
Soes
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default How to Install a UI with a custom INI file

99% of the time when people have a problem with my UI or another UI that uses a custom INI file, it's because they did something wrong or have incorrect settings on their PC.

Just for kicks, I downloaded some of the featured UIs on EQInterface and pretty much all of them (XymUI, AYAUI, Cairenn UI, all of Drakah's UIs etc) use CUSTOM INI FILES.

"What happens if I don't rename and copy the ini file correctly?"
The UI will still load, but none of the windows will be where the author originally designed them to be. Some windows like the Pet Window in SoesUI simply cannot be moved because of the way they are coded. The only way to have these UI's set up 100% in the originally designed way is to follow these instructions.

Instruction Manual: How to Install a UI with a custom INI file

[color=orange-red]Step 1[/color]:
Make sure your folder settings are correct
Open any windows folder and click on Tools: Folder Options

Make sure that "Hide File Extensions for Known File Types" is not checked!

I have had people not install my UI correctly because they had this option checked (it's checked by default when you install Windows), so what was happening is they were renaming the file correctly but they weren't able to see the extensions. So their files ended up being "UI_Character_##.ini.ini" and hence not working correctly.

[color=orange-red]Step 2[/color]:
Unzip and install your UI to the UIFILES sub-directory within your EverQuest Folder.

The program I use is WinZip, you can get a free version from www.winzip.com. Make sure "Use Folder Names" is checked, this will automatically create the "Soes" subdirectory.

[color=orange-red]Step 3[/color]:
Browse to your EQ Directory and into the UiFiles/Soes sub-directory.

[color=orange-red]Step 4[/color]:
Locate the custom ini file "UI_YourChar_YourServer.ini" and rename it according to your char's name and server number.

If your char name is Bob and you play on Veeshan, your file should be renamed to UI_Bob_35.ini ... if you don't know your server number find it here.

[color=orange-red]Step 5[/color]:
Finally copy the file to your base EQ Directory.

If you've ever played the char you are trying to setup the UI for, it WILL ask you to overwrite your existing ini file... if you don't get a box like this, you did something wrong (or deleted the existing file already). Select "Yes".

[color=orange-red]Step 6[/color]:
For SoesUI you have to use either 1280x1024 resolution or 1024x768 resolution, no other resolutions are supported nor have been tested so if you use another one you're on your own. So goto Options before you log into EQ and check to make sure!

Similarly, if you were installing another custom UI make sure you use the supported resolution(s) the author specified.

Hope this helps some people out. Good luck.