View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 07:27 AM   #15
Cormanth
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Zebuxoruk
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I would just like to point out that it's not all mod rods that are being nerfed... just the 'Rod of Transvergance'. I know, higher levels think this is a bad thing. But since it's not all the mod rods... it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. Besides, using 1 rod every 60 seconds it's that big of a limit. Consider how many hitpoints it taps to use the rod, and how much mana it gives. If you are in a position to need continuous mana rods, then it's likely that you're going to also need someone to heal you while you use them.

As for CH... kinda sucks, but not really. Granted, CH is no longer a 'Complete Heal', but 7500 HPs is alot. Most characters don't have quite that many hitpoints. And as Varent stated, no one has yet to even reach the 10500 hitpoint mark that the spell originally healed. Granted, some people may have 9k hitpoints, and CH won't completely heal them. But it does give them back a great deal of what they lost. And if they do happen to have 9k hitpoints, it's likely that when the cleric does cast CH, they are probably not completely dead anyway since CH takes so long to cast. Chancesare, the character will still have 1k or so HPs left, so the heal for 7500 would put them back to around 8000 - 8500 HPs again. Also, like Varent said, it gives way to future heal spells being implimented later on.

Monks? I'm sorry... I don't know anything about them so I am not in a position to comment either way.

But the change to manaburn does effect me directly. My primary character is a high level wizard (not yet 60 but close). I can understand the reasoning behind this nerf (some people were just being plain selfish and were abusing their power). But, the choice of solutions just doesn't sit well with me. Yes, Manaburn is a very powerful effect. And yes, it does give wizards a great deal of damage potential compared to other classes. And yes, a group of level 60 wizards with manaburn could potentially over power most of the high level mobs. But it comes down to fair game play. If certain players are being selfish and abusive, add something to the game to make those persons pay for their actions. Don't take away from everyone else who isn't abusing those powers. And the idea of making it so the spell can only be cast on a single mob once every so often is ridiculous. It goes one step further toward removing the sense of reality from the game. How realistic is it that a spell would leave an effect when cast such that no others could cast the same spell on that mob? In truth, to balance out the game properly, if they are going to impliment such a change on a few spells/abilities, then they should do it across the board. Make it so that all spells can only be cast on a single mob once every so often. Make it so that 2 wizards could not cast Ice Comet on the same mob in the same time frame. They did it with DoTs, now Manaburn... why not do it with all damage spells. Personally I feel that such a change would suck royally, but logically speaking, if you're going to do it with some spells, you'd best do it with all spells. It's only fair. Either do it and do it right, or don't do it at all.

As far as manaburn is concerned, I would have found a better way to solve the problem. Maybe even make it so that MB didn't do 32k damage, or even make it so that MB left a residue on the mob such that it's resistance to another MB attack went up drastically. Another MB could conceivably still hit, but chances are it would be resisted. They made all these changes to the way mobs are handled, which mobs could be hit, how resists are done and so on.... wouldn't it have been easier (not to mention more fair) to add something like a special resist that was applied to a mob after it was hit with manaburn?

You asked, and I spoke my feeble mind.

-Cormanth

P.S. For all you druids out there loving the fact that this gives you a better standing in regards to killing some mobs... maybe Varent needs to add something that limits druids abilities to quad kite so darned easily.... it's such a pain to go somewhere to hunt, only to find that half a dozen druids have moved in and owned the zone.
Cormanth is offline   Reply With Quote