View Single Post
Old 07-28-2002, 09:20 AM   #5
Kalthanan
A Hill Giant

Server: Cazic Thule
Default Modding the cursor

I've modded the cursor, but I just used a different arrow-shape. The cool thing about the tga format that I've found is that it preserves levels of transparency.

I use Photoshop, and this is the method I use to mod the graphics for the UI:

- box-select a portion you want to modify (the cursor for example)
- copy it (Ctrl-C)
- create a new graphic; use the default size that comes up -- that is the size of your copied area.
- paste into the new window (Ctrl-V)
- create a new layer
- draw your new graphic in the new layer (to make sure you line up elements correctly; you can turn the other layer off if it distracts you, but turn it back on periodically to check the "pointer" part. For other elements, like window corners, etc, you need those defining parts aligned correctly too -- depends on what you're changing)
- when you're done, delete the extraneous layer, merge visible layers in case you have text, etc.
- Ctrl-A (to select your graphic)
- switch back to the source graphic window
- Ctrl-V to paste. This is the cool part; if you haven't de-selected your original selection from this window, you should paste into the same position as you originally copied from. This should give you a new layer, too. This is a good thing.
- Erase the original graphics under your new graphics with the eraser tool, and make sure you get a good area around the cursor... there may be semi-transparent pixels there.
- Merge visible

Another thing that helps me is to add a layer and fill it all with pink... that shows me where all the transparencies are. Then just discard the layer when you're done.

- When you're drawing your new parts, be aware of the "opacity" setting in Photoshop; this will allow you to make partially transparent areas to make them look better, sort of like the shadow under the mouse pointer in Windows 2000 and XP.

That's one of the mods I did; I just about copied the windows XP pointer; it's easier to see -- more contrast. The default EQ one is too grey and too hard to see sometimes.

I hope some of this made sense

Kal
Kalthanan is offline   Reply With Quote