View Single Post
Old 08-17-2002, 05:12 AM   #9
xlorepdarkhelm
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Xegony
Send a message via AIM to xlorepdarkhelm Send a message via Yahoo to xlorepdarkhelm
Default Re: Total Newbie to this stuff - dumb quesitons

Quote:
Originally posted by JadellNightSong
You know there was a time I considered myself to be computer literate. But the more I get into the gaming world and my fascination with the more technical aspects of it grows the more I realize just how little I know. So here are a couple of questions that most of you will think are pretty dumb lol but like I said I am real newby to this stuff so please bear with me.

I almost never make the mistake that I know everything about computers, even after 20+ years of programming, building, etc. with them, I always find something new that Ihave never seen before. It's just my assimilation of new information about them runs faster now

Quote:

1) What does this comman do? /viewport
I followed the link but am more then a bit confused can someone explain it in <cough, cough> english? Note that I have a small screen I belive I use 640X480 if that helps.

/viewport allows you to change the viewable "game window" size to smaller than your full screen. sort of think of it as a way to make your screen look more like how the old blue-marble 640x480 rez screen did, where you could put things around the sides, and not cover your character's vision.

To use it is simple. the first two numbers after it are the coordinates on the screen for the upper left corner of your viewport, the firs one being X, the last one being Y. now, depending on your resolution, the ranges for these numbers change. However, if they are both zeros, it will stick it in the upper left corner. as the first number gets larger, the more right the window moves. as the second number gets larger, the more down the window moves. The last two numbers are the width and height of the window, in pixels. The bigger the 3rd number, the wider it gets, and the bigger the 4th (last) number is, the taller it gets. here's some examples:

/viewport 79 59 640 480

this would make a viewable window of 640x480 pixels in size, and the upper left corner be at 79, 59. If you were playing at 800x600 resolution, it would be centered on your screen.

/viewport 139 0 1000 750

this would make a viewable window of 1000x750 pixels in size, and the upper left corner would be at the very top of the screen, and shifted right a bit. if you were playing at 1280x1024 resolution, it would be centered at the top of your screen.

Easy enough?

Quote:
[B]
2) Where do you folks learn how to do all this stuff? I have a trial verison of an old version of Paintshop Pro and frankly though I have messed with it a bit I still dont have much of clue what I am doing. For example I created the buttons and background for my website useing this program. Mind you the dragon was drawn by someone else. http://www.geocities.com/jadell_nightsong/

Well, I've fiddled around with graphics programs off and on, usually just manipulating and "fine tuning" someone else's work to what I want. I dunno, I learn this stuff usually by just playing with it, if it breaks no big deal, can always start over, recover from a backup, etc. Pretty much trial and error are by two best teachers.

Well, I'm not a ranger, and was just wandering around the board, reading messages.... hope I helped. check under the released and beta sections here, plus the downloads section of eqinterface.com, and see if there's anything in those that fit what you are looking for.

Magelo
Guild Website
xlorepdarkhelm is offline   Reply With Quote