Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2002, 03:31 PM   #1
xguix
A Snow Griffin

Default A few ideas to simplify UI editting

Ok, VI is not making it easy for skinners/mod'ers. I was thinking that if you have 2 computers that perhaps you could simplify the process of the whole "Edit XML -> Run EQ -> Check custom UI -> Log off EQ -> Make changes to XML, rinse, repeat" procedure.

I'm at work at the moment and cannot verify any of this, but I'm thinking that if you logg in EQ on one machine, then on the 2nd computer connect to the 1st one, open up the XML files you need to edit from the EQ machine's hard drive, make modifications and save the XML files (again on EQ machine). Then on your EQ computer do a "/loadskin <your_modified_skin> 1"

Now this *should* work assuming that:
1) Your 2 computers are properly networked and can access each other's files;
2) EQ doesn't lock the XML files when it runs. Otherwise you will not be able to save your changes I hope that this is not the case;
and 3) Your changes don't make EQ crash, otherwise might as well edit the files on your EQ machine since you're on the desktop anyways

I'll check this tonight, but if anyone can try it in the meantime it'd be appreciated.

- xguix
xguix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:35 PM   #2
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Yes - this can be done. Matter of fact, I did it today - hubby was on his computer with the default while I attempted to fix his custom skin... he loaded from there (it wound up crashing cuz it's someone else's and I think I overwrote the wrong files...... don't know what was edited in the first place so I don't know what I need to keep vs can replace... lol).... but had it not crashed him, it would have loaded just fine. Excellent idea, too. I think I'm going to continue that method whenever I have both computers to myself. hehe

~Lady Silver
Lady Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:53 PM   #3
QuietclawShadow
A Ghoul

Server: Veeshan
Send a message via AIM to QuietclawShadow

EQW works good for this too
Old 08-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #4
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Torvonnilous
Default Yes and No

Yes you can edit the .xml while in game with limitations to only You will have to exit all the way and restart game to load a new graphic or texture. As it is it stays same and can only change the layout

I have tried everything and no success on the image problem. Just something thats a problem. However, new patch today we'll have to see. Going to test out new patch now with changing graphics

EQW - I have NO idea what your talking about - I really dont
Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 05:28 PM   #5
Kiriani
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Saryrn
Send a message via ICQ to Kiriani Send a message via AIM to Kiriani Send a message via Yahoo to Kiriani

XP's remote Desktop works too I would assume, but you have to make sure it is only accessible from your network. I have four PCs on my home network, and only recently began trying to use remote desktop, especially for something such as this or as an alternative to running back and forthe between my roomie's room and my living room.

Alternatively, if you have a second montior and an AV switch on your PC (and the capability to run two simultaneous desktops) I would assume that would work as well.

Me, I just use EQW for the PC I am editting the files on, and I use the other to look up info or DL/Edit graphics/examples of stuff. I transfer the files between the two using one of those spiffy USB storage devices ("pocket drives" as many call them). Best 100 dollars I ever spent

The reason I split the work that way, in case you are wondering, is because I figure I already have about 15 windows open at any given time on the PC I am editting on, no sense in adding IE windows and downloads into the mix as well.
Kiriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 05:42 PM   #6
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Torvonnilous
Default Changing Graphics W/ Game Loaded

It may just be me!

BUT - Now you can edit graphics w/o exiting I just did it
I changed Spellbooks w/ game running - VERY NICE
Pure is offline   Reply With Quote