Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 12-10-2002, 05:49 AM   #1
Neiloch
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Tholuxe Paells
Default Transparent Graphics with PSP

I'm using paint shop pro and when ever i make a new image i select transparent as the background then draw my image. But when i load it up in EQ it keeps showing what should be transparent as white. anyone know how to fix this?

"Dont screw with someone with a lot of free time"
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 09:59 AM   #2
aviendha101
A Tundra Mammoth

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Help...

There are numerous posts regarding this in the Graphics Help forum. I recommend checking it out.

EQ does not use the generic Transparent background for your files. You have to define the exact parts that are to be included using what's called an Alpha Channel (Alpha means FIRST, and "Channel" basically means the part of the file that is looked at). A full description of how to do this can be found in the Graphics Help forum. Hope this helps!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:53 AM   #3
Malevolent
A Snow Cougar

Server: Tarew Marr
Send a message via ICQ to Malevolent
Default PSP Transparent *.tga

I have scaned every post listing problems with transparent .tga files and 90% of them deal with Photoshop. Im looking for the steps in saving a transparent .tga file. I know about layers and the alpha channel.
I need to know if I create a round window in 24 bit transparent, do I start out as a "background" or a "layer 1"?
Do I save those as the alpha or create a second transparent layer as the alpha?
If I create one of those as the alpha do I make a raster or vector layer to go over it?
Do I hit merge visiable before I save it to a .tga or just save it and let PSP merge them?

I know its something simple, but at 3:51 in the mornning <shrug>
Malevolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:32 PM   #4
Rolleo
A Snow Griffin

I use PsP also, so i'll give you the quick steps I use. You start out with a standard rectangle/square blank image of the appropriate size (based off what is acceptable by the UI.)

Don't worry about seperate layers if you're just trying to get a transparency over some portions of your image. Just draw the image you want, use the magic wand to select the "empty" space, click on Selections at the menu -> invert, then Selections -> save to alpha channel and click through the screens, then un-select the image ctrl-d, then save the image as a .tga and you're done.

That's the simplest way of doing it in PsP, but not the only way. There is another way of using seperate layers, with varying degrees of transparency to get extremely clean edged images, and partial transparency. Unfortunetly, I've yet to get anyone to explain this step on a sufficient level to actually get it to work when completed.

Oh, and there is a good step-by-step instructional for PsP, with images, somewhere here on the forum. I know, cause I used it to learn this very thing.
Rolleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #5
Malevolent
A Snow Cougar

Server: Tarew Marr
Send a message via ICQ to Malevolent
Default Thank You!

Thank you Rolleo,
I understand the invert process now.
Malevolent is offline   Reply With Quote