Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 10-24-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Lueamdar

Server: Tunare
Default Be cautious of emails asking for account info

I know this goes without saying, but just a friendly reminder....

Today I got an email which looked like it was from EBay, but it was not. It had an EBay link on it, but redirects to a server in the Netherlands.

So always be cautious of emails, even if they look official. If a site is asking you to go to a link to enter information, a good practice is to open a web browser and go to the site manually.
Columbus. But remember, they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
Lueamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Lueamdar

Server: Tunare

BTW, I did forward the spoof EBay email to [email protected] . Hopefully the spoof site will be shut down soon.
Lueamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Aye... You have to be real careful these days with a lot of spoof sites out there. Anytime I get an email from any company claiming my account has been tampered, suspended, or whatnot. I visit the company site directly, instead of clicking on the link in the email. Then I go to their 'contact us' section and look for the link to their fraud section and take it from there.

Heck even one time I got an email from Citibank claiming my account was tampered with and to click on the link in the email. Which was rather difficult as the entire text was in .jpg screen shot. That's a new one for me...

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Alluvin
A Gray Wolf

I just love getting emails warning me about stuff i dont' have an account with. AKA my plat credit card has been tampered with yet i don't have one =)
Alluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
Lazaru5
A Shissar Disciple

I got an email a few weeks back, which was supposedly sent from Microsoft, claiming to sell Windows XP Pro (w/ SP2 already included) for like $60 or somewhere around there.

I thought pretty heavily about taking the offer up, but became extremely leery about it when I took a few things into consideration. Those being:

A. The email address of the sender was just simply [email protected] (ex. [email protected]). I mean, c'mon....what kind of corporation the size of Microsoft would give their employees email addresses like that??

B. The fact that the local retailers are still charging the 'normal' price ($150-$200 range) for what they have on their shelves.

C. The fact that even though the ordering webpage threw up a disclaimer notification stating that their page is secure and all personal information would be encrypted upon sending, the actual order form page itself did not have the little golden lock down on the bottom of the browser window.

I didn't bother notifying Microsoft about this, though. Mainly because I didn't think of it until I saw this thread.