Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2005, 01:46 AM   #1
monkiegirl
A Gray Wolf

Default New Sars Dodh Ui

Hello , i wasnt sure where the best place would be to post my findings, so i thought it would fit best into the Help threads.

As the new expansion came out . of course i got some new UI's and i love sars always had used it , so was very happy with it. Well at the time i didnt think the UI had anything to do with this , but now i have tested and found out its fully the new sars UI causing it , let me explain .

I play two accounts on one computer , always have , well after DoD came out , when id load in the second account, right as it loaded in (first already being up and running ) My physical ram would drop down to ZERO , giving me low memory warnings . I woudnt crash , and the physical ram slowly would come back up , from zero to a nice healthy number.

Well i coudnt understand why the game was sucking every bit of my ram out and just figured it must be due to new expansion . and btw this happened everytime i loaded up second account , no matte what zone , old or new.

So tonight i had loaded up a different account to kei myself which i dont usually use , and its on default UI . and hmm i did not get a low memory msg and my ram free stayed nice and high . so thats why i got to thinking , well hmm its something else . So i loaded default UI on both my usual characters , rebooted computer , loaded them in and, hmmm NO low memory warnings , and my ram up nice and high .

So does anyone know why this new sars dod ui is sucking up every piece of ram i have free when i load up ? i dont want to change ui's but with this new find i really have no choice , as i dont like my computer running out of ram everytime i load up a second account.

Anyone with any info or thoughts please respond and thank you
monkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
Annoid
A Gray Wolf

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I'm no programmer, I just seem to know enough to twiddle around with UI's enough to do what I want to do with the UI's that I use.

I have also used the Sars UI for a number of years now, and am continuing to use it.

DoD required a major rewrite of Sars, and I simply didn't have time to do it myself, so I'm glad that Duesama took it upon himself to update the UI.

However, I have noticed that in the hotbutton window, there are many sections which can be eliminated because they are displaying information "off the screen", or are no longer needed.

Below is a list of sections I've cut out from my hotbutton window file.

Label item="STAPercent"
Label item="ManaPercentSign"
Label item="ManaPercent"
Label item="HPPercent"
Label item="HPPercentSign"
Label item="EnergyPercent"
Label item="EnergyPercentSign"
Label item="HBW_CurrentWeight"
Label item="HBW_WeightNumber"
Label item="HBW_MaxWeight"
Label item="PercentToAA"
Label item="LevelLabel"
Label item="EPLabel"
Label item="CurrentEndur"
Label item="EPLabel4"
Label item="CurrentHP4"
Label item="CurrentMana4"

With the associated lines also removed, total file size is about 10k smaller.

Most of these are removed because they display info on the other part of the screen, for example; the items dealing with weight (HBW_CurrentWeight) were in the Hotbutton section which is the "left" half of the window, and duplicated in the "right" half of the window, as HBW_CurrentWeight4. Since this is only displayed in the "right" half of the window, it's totally unneeded in the left half. The code is there, generating the information display, but it's displayed off-window so you don't see it.

Please note that the list above also includes item I removed in order to make changes to the window based on personal preferences; re-arranging things, etc.. which was why I opened the file to begin with. Do not simply go into the file and whack the items I've listed.

I have removed all this extra code in my copy. Wether or not this is the cause of your problem, I do not know. I havn't had enough free time since DoD came out to have done any twoboxing I just saw the unneeded code in the file when I opened it to customize it for my own needs and decided to remove it.

Also, please note that there is a thread over on the EQ Tech support boards regarding high memory use and / or a memory leak in the game as a whole.. this might be what you're seeing. It might have nothing to do with Sars.
Annoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro

its not sars. There is a hefty memory leak that went live with DoD. its been identifyed and should be fixed as of todays patch. Lots of people are having ram problems.

think of it this way.

eq sets x = 1
then it want to set it to 3 so it sets x = 3. well the memory leak makes it so it sets it to 3, but doesnt get rid of the 1 in the memory, so u have a junk value floating in ur ram, never getting cleared. now when they want to change x to 5, they do it and 3 ramins in ur memory. now this just oges on forever untill fixed. This is an extremely basic example. EQs memory leak is using much more massive files ( how many times can u load a 10mb file before running out of room in ur ram?)

So its not Sars, its a bug in teh game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.”
Anne Frank
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
monkiegirl
A Gray Wolf

Thank you for sharing your thoughts , but if it was eq memory leak , why do i not have this problem if i play in default UI ?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro

not 100% sure here but it might be that the Sars Ui causes the bug to replecate faster, causing the memory leak to be noticeable faster.

I highly doubt that the UI is to blame, while it may have someting to do with UIs in general, theres nothing in the client side UI that could cause a memory leak. the leak may be in the reading of the files.
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
monkiegirl
A Gray Wolf

Ah well thanks for info , i really like that UI too , but using a lil mix n match that i chose myself now , and dont have the memory problem anymore .

Everything is default now except target + hott , group window , spell slots , and buff window.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #7
Duesama
Long LIVE SARS!

Memory leak was supposedly fixed in patch yesterday. shrugs
Duesama is offline   Reply With Quote