Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-17-2002, 03:20 AM   #1
Kistanth
A Fire Beetle

Default Where to start.

I hate to jump in the middle of everything, but I would love to be able to customize skins for the new UI, but I don't know where to begin in the XML files. I'm not familiar with the tags or anything, is there any place I can go to get a heads up about how to do this? Any help would be greatly appriciated.. thanks
Kistanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:46 AM   #2
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

I started XML by grabbing a book and read.

Then I grabbed an XML file and XMLSpy and played with it. I messed stuff up, then looked up as to why I was getting "not a valid XML File" error. Learned about DTDs, etc.

I would suggest first understand the fundamentals of XML. It's a similar structure to HTML in that it uses <> style tags, but nothing more.

Unlike HTML, XML doesn't have a set tag set.

Think of XML files as a really fancy windows INI file. They do the complete exact same thing, but XML just displays it different, putting it all in a hierarchy, makeing it easier to read and easier to parse.

That's it .. There are other things to XML, like DTD, data type definition, and Schema files. They are used to define an XML document. Make sure it's "valid" before a program trys to read it and die horriably cause of false formats.

Next step is to play with it. Open a file, make a BIG change, like change the Length of 23 to 400. Or the size from 10x30 to 323x492 and see what happens.
Change a name from 'Target' to '*(#&#*# TARGET #$($@(@' or something. Something nice and big so you can easily spot the changes. Then you'll see.

Oh, also - I find printing out files seems to help as well. Easier to look at things on a hard sheet of paper then trying to grasp it on the computer screen. Some can do that, others can't.
http://www.chronology-guild.org/
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:49 AM   #3
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

Oh yeah .. also, forgot to mention:

When you work on the EQUI, look for the UIError.txt file located in your Everquest directory.

Shortcut that!! It will be a MAJOR life saver in trouble shooting why your ui crashed EQ or why EQ reverted back to the default skin.

Place the shortcut someplace that's easy to access by you.
I've added it as a file in my project in XMLSpy right on the top level so I can just click it when ever I get an error.
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:19 AM   #4
Tellgar
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro

I love XMLSpy, that program is a lifesaver.
Tellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:43 PM   #5
Kistanth
A Fire Beetle

Default Thanks

Thanks alot for the help, now I have somewhere to begin. I have another question tho. Is there a program that you can preview how the object will look in the game? Seems like a pain to go all the way into the game to see if "Target" changes to "&%$)(Target)($%&" correctly.
Kistanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

As of yet, no, but at least one is in the works. And I guarantee, the moment it's done, it'll be all over this forum more than the 8/14 patch. hehe

I know I'm anxious to see it (and use it).

~Lady Silver
Lady Silver is offline   Reply With Quote