Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2002, 07:07 AM   #1
calmac
A Fire Beetle

Server: Zebuxoruk
Question Today's patch

So I noticed in today's patch tha the Bazaar windows, Animations and a couple of other things UI-related have been changed.

Now I got the meesage that if you haven't copied new files over to your skins then the defaults will be used but what if you have? And, more importantly, what if you've changed one of the files that they've just updated?

I use Geddine's buff window which requires changes to the Animations file. Do I need to copy over the newest file from default and make the same changes?
calmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:22 AM   #2
izzyrocknyc
A Gray Wolf

Server: Tribunal
Send a message via AIM to izzyrocknyc Send a message via Yahoo to izzyrocknyc
Default after patch problems...

seems like after this patch, none of the UI's load up. The crash the game to desktop..

is there a fix??
izzyrocknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:50 AM   #3
Norwolf
A Fire Beetle

Lightbulb

>>EDIT<<

Should of looked further before posting here.

While I have not tried this yet here is a thread on the changes made including the reason for crashing to desktop

http://www.eqgui.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=976

I will leave my old post below for reference
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I logged on this morning and:

logged onto a character that I have NOT updated the interface to and had not problems logging in.

I then logged in my main and was booted to desktop (as someone noted before)

I then went into my EQClient file and changed the UI from "Base" back to "Default" thinking that perhaps this may help (and if may be part of the "fix")

Re-logged my main to be booted to desktop again

>>> no solution….time to go to work ;-/ <<<

Not having time to get into problem solving (at work now) I'm going to see what I can find during the day from the boards, etc.

Possible solutions I have been thinking of. I don’t know if ANY of these will "solve" this or if there is a better way however I wanted to post my thoughts in the event someone wants to try or build off of them:
(ALWAYS make a back up before playing with files... )
(If you are not comfortable moving files, making backups, editing files, etc. don’t try until a proven solution has been posted)

Possibility 1
a) copy all files from "default" to "base" (your modified skin directory)
b) load EQ and try to come on, if you:
b1) get booted to desktop - no need to proceed further
b2) log and see a "standard" (check all windows; innovatory, tracking , trade, etc) interface log off
c) one at a time re-introduce your modified files, log on each time and check that interface:
c1) if the new file works move on to the next file
c2) if the new file fails to work put the "standard" file back, re-log to make sure it works (it should at that time) and move onto the next file.

Possibility 2
move the following files to a "temp" directory, this will effectively "delete" the files in EQ's eyes and it will download new files:
All UI files, EQclient, <charactor_name> files
and try to log on

The strength of a man is not determined by the strength of his weapon
but by the strength of his resolve.

Last edited by Norwolf : 08-14-2002 at 08:58 AM.
Norwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:13 AM   #4
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda
Default The fix!

Indeed there is a way to make your mod work without deleting or damaging anything, but it'll take a few minutes of your time. Don't worry, it's not *too* difficult

Now, according to the patcher, the following files were patched in your default directory:

-window_pieces04.tga
-EQUI_OptionsWindow.xml
-EQUI.xml
-EQUI_BazaarWnd.xml
-EQUI_BazaarSearchWnd.xml
-EQUI_Animations.xml
-EQUI_CompassWnd.xml

Now, the first is just an art file that replaces a redundant and obselete one, so go ahead and copy that over the one in your modded directory.

The second, the options window, is very unlikely to have been modded, so you can probably copy that one over, too.

The third, the EQUI, could get tricky, but it's not too bad. The only thing they added was the inclusion for the CompassWnd.xml. So, here's what you do. Open up WordPad (or the text editor of your choice) and select "open..." and then "All files" from the dropdown menu. Then locate the DEFAULT ui folder and open it in the "open" menu, and then select the EQUI.xml file and open it. (I'm not going to teach you how to use Windows, kids). Now, at the bottom, in the series of lines with the <include> tag, there should be one that reads:

<Include>EQUI_CompassWnd.xml</Include>

Copy this line. Then, open up the EQUI.xml in your MODDED folder by the same methods and in the same spot that it was located (as long as it's before the </composite> tag) paste that line in. Save it, and that file should be good.

Next we have the Bazaar and Bazaar search windows (/trader and /bazaar). You probably don't have this modded either, and if you do, tough; it adds functionality to the trader list by making it alphabetically sorted, making it *infinately* easier to find the trader you want. If you are modded, the creator will likely make an update in the near future, or you can sort through the code yourself if you know what you're doing and copy and replace the needed material. It would most likely be at the bottom.

Skipping ahead, the CompassWnd.xml is brand new, so go ahead and copy that one to your modded directory if you aren't clever enough to have done so already.

Finally we come to the most challenging procedure in the fix, although it's really a piece of cake. Use wordpad to open the EQUI_Animations.xml file (the one in your *default* skins directory) in the same way you opened the EQUI.xml. Go to the bottom. Located immediatly above the </xml> closing tag at the very end is a block of code that, for your reference, looks exactly like this only in a different font

<!-- Compass art -->

<Ui2DAnimation item = "A_CompassStrip">
<Frames>
<Texture>window_pieces04.tga</Texture>
<Location>
<X>0</X>
<Y>0</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>180</CX>
<CY>24</CY>
</Size>
</Frames>
</Ui2DAnimation>

<Ui2DAnimation item = "A_CompassOverlay">
<Frames>
<Texture>window_pieces04.tga</Texture>
<Location>
<X>0</X>
<Y>24</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>98</CX>
<CY>24</CY>
</Size>
</Frames>
</Ui2DAnimation>

Copy the whole thing (In fact, why don't you just copy the code i posted above, it's much easier, since i've already done all the hard work for you, you lazy, insolent swine, I shall smite your land and your seed shall be wiped from the earth....sorry) and then open up the EQUI_Animations.xml file in your MODDED folder with wordpad and paste the block of code in at the very end, right before the </xml> closing tag. Not after! Post it after and you die! Nyah!

And that should be it. Try it out, if you are confident in your abilities, and it should be an easy fix and not nearly as longwinded as i've made it out to be. Or, if you're a namby pamby little poofda who's afraid he might break something, you can go back to using the old crap-ola new ui that verant so valliantly tried to make good. Fortunately, like the constitution, the UI has a Twefth Ammendment, which, for all you U.S. History dropouts, states that it can be changed, unless that's the 9th and i've confused the two again, which is very probable.

Then go on EQ and everything should be fine and you'll have a nice new compass window to play with, unless you're one of those slackers who never bothered to practice sence heading because you're too lazy and you thought you could check which side the moss grows on the tree, but now you'll find that THE MOSS GROWS WHEREVER THE HELL IT WANTS TO, BUDDY and all the good little children's only dillemma will be to decide what to do with that sence heading hotkey space that's now useless.

All this will happen, unless of course you screw up drastically and it *doesn't* work, and then you're screwed sideways, pal, because making any of the suggested changes mentioned above is your own responsibility and is done AT YOUR OWN RISK, JERK!, so you can't sue me.

I'm done. Really.
Fennin Ro"The Forgotten Server"
Go Kicky Fast Okay!
Casanunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:41 AM   #5
izzyrocknyc
A Gray Wolf

Server: Tribunal
Send a message via AIM to izzyrocknyc Send a message via Yahoo to izzyrocknyc
Default thanks...!

thanks Casanunda! it works..i was very close except for that EQUI Animation file, didnt think to look in there...
izzyrocknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:46 AM   #6
calmac
A Fire Beetle

Server: Zebuxoruk

Thanks for all the info guys - I'll try it as soon as I get home!

I'm thinking I may just try removing all the files from my new UI that haven't changed at all so it
a) takes up less disk space and
b) is easier for me to find what I've changed!

I'll let you know how that goes...

Casanunda - can I be your Nanny Ogg?
calmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:44 AM   #7
Saoshen
A Snow Cougar

REMINDER..

You do NOT have to modify the default animations or equi xml files... just include the info with the window xml you are modding..

You do NOT have to include UNmodified files in your mod directory... any files not found in your mod will automatically use the default files..
Saoshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:01 AM   #8
Krotus
A Hill Giant

This kinda sucks.
Im using several mods on different characters.
Im gonna have to go through this crap everytime they patch.
There must be a better way.

Last edited by Krotus : 08-14-2002 at 11:49 AM.
Krotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:32 PM   #9
Xyalla Dimala
A Gray Wolf

Server: Tarew marr
Send a message via ICQ to Xyalla Dimala

That's why the UI is still in beta.. until it's finalized there are going to be problems like this every patch.
Tarew Marr, the Sewers of EverQuest.
Xyalla Dimala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:40 PM   #10
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Bertoxxulous
Send a message via AIM to buzweaver

Like Kortus I have 4 Different Chars I play. I'm having to resort to loading each skin sperately (per game play) depending on which one I'm going to use, gets old after a while.

Retired
BuzzFelinous (26 Bard)
BuzzVar(40 Shaman)
BuzzSilverThor (68 Storm Warder )
buzweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #11
Starshelle
A Druid not a "Dr00d"

Server: Innoruuk

Well technically you don't have to. I have multiple characters too and different backgrounds and spell books for them. I had to rename their tga files that they were different from one another (for example instead of window_pieces01 I made druid_pieces01, mage_pieces01, cleric_pieces01 and so forth). Then I made each character their own animations.xml and template xml and replaced the tga files with the specific one I wanted that character to have. That way when I switch characters the interface switches with them.

P.S. Yes I know it can seem like a lot of work, but I think it's worth it in the long long. Better than constantly switching out of the game. After all it's just renaming a few files and using the Find and Replace feature in Wordpad or whatever you edit your XML with.
Starshelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:44 AM   #12
Mafoo
A Shissar Disciple

Default Manageing multiple skins for multiple chars

There is a way to beable to manage multiple skins for multiple players.
Due to the way that EQ currently handles textures the client is instructed (using eqclient.ini) to load a 'base skin' then once your charector loads it then uses which ever skin is set from that, however! Due to eq caching the teture names, only textures with a DIFFERENT name from teh 'base' skin will show up, so here is the solution.
you are going to require som heafty find and replace i am afraid
in each of the mods that you use do a global search andreplace for teh text A_ and replace it with something different for each mod/dir) e.g B_ then C_ this will act as a tempory solution long but it will work
another thing is to ask all developers of skins to recode there changes like this, this does however cause them much headache in recodeing all there files
Mafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 12:32 PM   #13
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Bertoxxulous
Send a message via AIM to buzweaver

Thanks for the Suggestion, LOL. I guess pre loading them per game play isn't so bad after all
buzweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 01:58 PM   #14
Straay
A Gray Wolf

Server: Tunare

Ok, I copied those 5 or 6 files from my Default folder into the new mod folder, this allowed me to not crash to desktop, but instead of loading my mod, I get the "Could not load, attempting to load Default" error message. So I figure, there's only one mod that I really really need (I changed my hotbox to include 5 inventory slots, and my casting bar). So I replaced every file except for the hotbuttons and still could not get the mod to load. Everything worked fine before the patch, any ideas here?
Straay is offline   Reply With Quote