Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Unhappy Totally off topic! My monitor is messing up!

Anyone know how to fix this problem? -

Starting about two months ago I noticed black lines ( to the side of anything that wasn't colored white ) on my monitor. And everything seems to be a bit darker than normal. I tried a monitor degauss and color return and nothing happened! After about a day or two I was messing around with the controls and it fixed itself somehow. Anyway, about a week later, it started up again! And it is really bad for playing EQ ! The black (kind of grey, really) lines make everything appear darker than it should! Also, just earlier I pushed the button on my monitor to the bottom left which restores color and it turned it an even STRANGER color! the lines are still there but now everything is LIGHTER than it should be!

HOW CAN I FIX THIS? Is it my monitor's problem? Is it a physical problem or something in the settings? Thanks in advance!

Is there a way I can take a screen shot of my desktop or something to show what it shows up as ?
ÆÆÆÆ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:21 AM   #2
Trinethy
A Wooly Rhino

Server: Luclin
Send a message via ICQ to Trinethy Send a message via Yahoo to Trinethy

Some Screens will help in deed,

If your using a PC there is an print screen button on the keybord.
open a painting programe (prefering Photoshop) (ore gimp as told in this topic) open an new file, leave the settings as the are and press ctrl v
then save the file as jpeg and Ill take a look at it,

as well it might be usefull to tell what kind of minitor your using.

grtz
Old 11-03-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
Fozzik
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Solusek Ro

First things to do would be to check cables. Make sure the data cable is plugged in and screwed tightly to the vid card and monitor. Make sure the power cable is plugged in tight at both ends.
It sounds a little bit like there's a hardware problem with the monitor, but hard to say without more info. Is this a CRT or a flat panel? How old is it? What do you have the resolution and refresh rate set at? Degaussing didn't do anything at all, or it just didn't fix the problem?
Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:17 AM   #4
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Ok, yesterday I changed monitors and the problem still persists... so I'm guessing it's not the monitor... Later I'll check all the cables and everything and post back once that's done. Thanks for the ideas, guys! Next post I'll try to get a few screen prints, too! Thanks!

~~~~~

Ok I tried the Print Scrn button and nothing happened!

Last edited by ÆÆÆÆ : 11-03-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:39 AM   #5
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Are you running on WinXP? If so, I had this very same problem. The sides had a sizeable black space and made the game window smaller. I found, as well as my other machine, if your machines window background graphic setting (i.e., 1024x768) is different than EQ game window setting (i.e., 1280x1024) the computer will make cause the black lines on the sides appear. Once the computer settings match the EQ game settings, the lines disappear. And like I said, both my computers did this and once I made them both the same setting (i.e., 1280x1024) it disappeared. Give that a try, it might be the issue, if your running under XP. Good luck.

Oh and after you click print screen you have to open up a graphics program (i.e., Microsoft Paint - every Windows OS has this), just right click on the white background and select paste. This will paste your 'Print screen' you just did.

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:46 AM   #6
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

Quote:
Originally posted by Zantaklawz
Are you running on WinXP? If so, I had this very same problem. The sides had a sizeable black space and made the game window smaller. I found, as well as my other machine, if your machines window background graphic setting (i.e., 1024x768) is different than EQ game window setting (i.e., 1280x1024) the computer will make cause the black lines on the sides appear. Once the computer settings match the EQ game settings, the lines disappear. And like I said, both my computers did this and once I made them both the same setting (i.e., 1280x1024) it disappeared. Give that a try, it might be the issue, if your running under XP. Good luck.

Oh and after you click print screen you have to open up a graphics program (i.e., Microsoft Paint - every Windows OS has this), just right click on the white background and select paste. This will paste your 'Print screen' you just did.

Yes, I'm running on WinXP. But the problem you describe sounds different than mine. Mine has nothing to do with EverQuest at all. It happens every time the computer is on, whether EQ is playing or not.

~~~~

When I press the Print Scrn button nothing happens! And it won't let me paste anything into the Paint, but that's because nothing happens when I press Print Scrn! Why is this? I have tried pressing it by holding shift at the same time, and just by itself, and nothing.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:01 AM   #7
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

When you press 'Print screen' it actually has done something, but you just don't see it. It stores the image in a notepad format, but you have to do something with it. In this case, opening a graphics program - use Paint (Click Start - Accessories - Paint). Then when you have your paint program open, click on Edit and then click on Paste and that should paste your saved 'Print Screen' image. Once its finished pasting, click 'Save As' and type in a name. Its best to save the image as a .JPG format (use the pull down window to choose your file type and choose .jpg) in 'Save as Type'.

Hope this helps clear things up.
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:04 AM   #8
ÆÆÆÆ
A Shissar Defiler

I already knew that and tried that before, and nothing happened. When I then go into Paint and click on Edit the paste button is just greyed out.

~

Well, I gotta go for now. I'll post back later! Bye!