Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Serianna
~The Semi Retired~

Server: Nameless, Formerly of Fennin Ro.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Serianna and the broken computer

Hey guys, I tried to turn on my computer and it wont boot up. Lets just say its in a bind death loop lol. I have sent it in to the company and they are going to fix it, but its going to take them a week with all the shipping times.

I will be on still, and chatting here, but I cant work on any code etc 'cause everything was on my main comp (the comp I am using is pretty useless, just enough to browse web really lol) Just wanted everyone to know what was up and why I wont be posting any code changes or anything for a bit, untill I get my comp back.

Chat soon
Seri~

"Oh my... someone help me, Ive got a main and 5 boxes to feed!"

Serianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

Hopefully they don't "fix" your hard drive in the process (unless you are a whole lot better about backing everyhting up routinely than I am.)

In any case, GL with the repairs

Weskat
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Aye, I echo what Weskat says. Make absolutely sure they know you have work and programs on there that are not to be deleted. The standard 'fix' in many computer shops is to simply wipe the drive and re-install windows.

Many times just re-installing windows without wiping anything will do the job, you still need to re-install your programs afterwards, but at least you still have everything on the drive.

Myx
myxiplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Serianna
~The Semi Retired~

They walked me through a few things via phone before I sent it in, its not running because of the ram, it fried after my overheat on monday night. No biggie to fix.

Yes all my files are backed up, or at least the ones I care about, they are on the computer i am using right now hehe. But I have no way of working with code cept notepad, which is a PITA. I can't find the disks for my Visual Studio 2005 so no code for me lol.

I was about to upload a fix for egras' EQMain window and inventory so that the powersource has the powersource graphic lol.
And I had almost finished putting an ammo slot in the EQmain bar too.

Im just bored now I guess, nothing really to do since this computer is not set up the way I need it to be. We're running out of computers though, we're down to this working desktop, and a laptop that works but not the way we want it to for EQ that my husband has been using. Have lost use of 5 desktops and my laptop (it was best computer in the house)

Is it totally insane to miss your computer? cause its been less than a day and Im missing it badly lol

Seri~
Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Hehe, not at all. Takes me 2-3 days to stop missing mine when I go on holiday

If you don't have Visual Studio, try Notepad+. I've not downloaded it myself yet, but it's been recommended by a few people and does look very good.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Serianna
~The Semi Retired~

Oh Myx Im gonna marry you! Man oh man that Notepad ++ is pretty awsome, not as good as Visual studio 2005 but its close. Free etc is great too lol.

Im making progress again its wonderfull, I expect to have another upload available later today, I reovered a few files that were on one of my little USB HD's so I have stuffs to work on.

Im going to spend some time doing the bag moves on the map I enlarged of yours, that way your mod is enlarged and stand alone completely. Like I said in another post, right now its not truly your mod lol its just the toggle enlarged, I think I figured a way out to make the text etc the right size, while keeping the map the right way, I havent tested it out yet though, so we'll have to wait and see. (I hope you dont mind me doing this stuff, if you want me to stop fiddling I will, Ive just been bored and not enough coding to keep me occupied with the Egras one LOL)

If you hadn't had told me about the notepad++ program I would have sat here bored for a week or more lol. this coding is about the only thing that ive been enjoying lately, since my arthritis is acting up so bad (oh and cant find a group to save my life in EQ theres no one out there ROFL).

Ill check back in a bit, be prepared for your Friendly high elf to turn into a board troll today

Seri~
Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Waaaaay too late for that, Tracey beat you to it I'm afraid , and I think little Katie would have something to say too.

Glad you like notepad+, but don't worry about the bags. They were really there for my own UI where I have the map open all the time, the toggle background is the important bit for the standalone map.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx
Aye, I echo what Weskat says. Make absolutely sure they know you have work and programs on there that are not to be deleted. The standard 'fix' in many computer shops is to simply wipe the drive and re-install windows.

Many times just re-installing windows without wiping anything will do the job, you still need to re-install your programs afterwards, but at least you still have everything on the drive.

Myx

I hate to say it, but I seriously doubt they'll listen. I had a laptop that had a bad memory stick and bios that HP decided to nuke the hard disk several times before they finally just gave me a new laptop. I even loaded it with diagnostic software 3 times, wrote out instructions and slid the instruction under the lid for the techs to read on how I came to that conclusion and the steps I took to do it.

Unfortunately your right about wiping it does the job half the time Myx. Because it buries the problem to later be seen. I've worked on computers since I was 6 years old (my dad taught me very early), I wouldn't trust my computer to any computer tech except 2 or 3 that work at a nearby family owned shop. Most computer techs just don't have the expertise it requires to find problem in modern computers (maybe 10 years ago they'd be fine), let alone fix it properly.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #9
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Sounds like you had a similar experience with HP to me. We'd used to use HP for all our company laptops, all was fine until we had one to go back for repair.

Despite it being an obvious motherboard fault, diagnosed by myself, and documented when I shipped the laptop back, it took 3 months to get a working laptop out of them.

They sent the laptop back with the original fault still present twice, they sent us a different 'repaired' laptop that had a completely separate fault, and were generally a complete nightmare to deal with. Their support department actually lied to me 3 or 4 times, and they took so long to repair the laptop we'd already had to buy a replacement for our user.

Needless to say we've not touched HP kit since. We're using Dell now and their support so far has been excellent. Even to the extent of trusting our diagnosis and just sending the parts when we ask them to.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx
Sounds like you had a similar experience with HP to me. We'd used to use HP for all our company laptops, all was fine until we had one to go back for repair.

Despite it being an obvious motherboard fault, diagnosed by myself, and documented when I shipped the laptop back, it took 3 months to get a working laptop out of them.

They sent the laptop back with the original fault still present twice, they sent us a different 'repaired' laptop that had a completely separate fault, and were generally a complete nightmare to deal with. Their support department actually lied to me 3 or 4 times, and they took so long to repair the laptop we'd already had to buy a replacement for our user.

Needless to say we've not touched HP kit since. We're using Dell now and their support so far has been excellent. Even to the extent of trusting our diagnosis and just sending the parts when we ask them to.

Yeah sounds exactly the same. I tried contacting the BBB about it, but they said they didn't have enough complaints to legally do anything yet, the guy also said they had well over 10k complaints about the exact same problem. Nice how 10,000+ folks got screwed and it isn't enough yet.
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
Serianna
~The Semi Retired~

Heh I dont use any of the main stream computer companys, I use Sager, there is NO better company to buy a computer from, or better CS.

Seri~
Old 05-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
Serianna
~The Semi Retired~

WOOT computer is back, a few problems from GASP everquest, something happened and running EQ was overclocking the drive... which caused overheat and things started frying, new Mobo, ram, extra hard drive (by request) vid card replacement just to make sure it didnt cause problems in the future.... Everything free cept the extra HD cause that didnt need replacement I just wanted an extra. Ive now got a practically new computer.

The only thing that went missing was my EQfolder, so Im missing a few screen shots I hadnt backed up etc, no biggie. Everything else they backed up and restored on the drive before making a wipe of the drive and re installing windows (just to make sure).

So Loss of a few screen shots, thats it, I love sager

Expect me back up and running in a few days or so, Oldest son brought home the flu again, and now were all sick, but hey, got my comp back practially new so Im fairly happy lol

Seri~
Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
Fyrecaster
A Hill Giant

Great to hear your back with a few minor annoyances Seri.
Fyrecaster is offline   Reply With Quote