Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 11-04-2002, 08:27 AM   #1
aviendha101
A Tundra Mammoth

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Gimp - Beware!

Okay, well I tested out Gimp last week. It seemed like a really great program-- especially for a freebie!

But I ran into a HUGE problem.

It completely CRASHED my Windows 2000 machine. To the point where I had to reinstall. I uninstalled Gimp once I started having problems (it had to have been related to Gimp, because right after I installed it none of my other Graphics programs would work on that machine). At first I suspected a virus, but McAfee and Norton both said "No way!"

Sooo... I reinstalled Win2k (total format of hard drive) and installed all my software (except Gimp) and of course everything's working great...

Sooo, the moral here is: Be careful what you download and install on your computer. :P Gimp seemed like a great piece of software, I liked the interface a lot. But it just didn't seem to like Win2k.

I haven't tried it on my Windows XP machine, and I won't. I'm just going to cough up the money and get PSP 7 (my favorite program so far).

Just my little warning to you all!

NOTE: The version of Gimp available for download is a BETA (says so on the website). This article is by NO MEANS a means of slighting their software. Like I said, it looked great and performed well. But for Win2k users at least, you may want to wait til the full version comes out instead of trying the beta.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:16 AM   #2
Astryne
A Snow Griffin

Server: Rathe
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Wow that really sucks... However are you sure its Gimp related? I have been using Gimp in Win2K (not to mention Linux and 98 for quite a while and have never had any problems real major problems... In fact my 2K install seems to be the most stable of the 3 OSes when running it. Sure it crashes some, but much less than explorer. Then again it might have been conflicting with something else you had installed or else you could have gotten a really unstable release.
Astryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:28 AM   #3
Teannas
A Wooly Rhino

Send a message via AIM to Teannas

hmmmmmm
oh yeah GIMP was made to run on a unix platform. Dont try and use freebies unless u try it on the correct platform. GIMP on Mandrake 9 rocks
Old 11-09-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

Server: Tholuxe Paelis
Send a message via AIM to aeluin

GIMP was adapted to run on Windows. But it's still in beta- use at your own risk.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." -Aragorn's Theme by J.R.R. Tolkien
aeluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 01:22 PM   #5
Stwong
A Ghoul

If you want a STABLE GIMP version, download the stable release. It clearly says GIMP beta on the download page, with a link shortly below to the stable (yet old) build.