Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Taleisin

Default Top 10 issues with the EQ interface

ok, due to my ranting and complaining on the EQ forums I've gotten the attention of a comunity corespondant ( not a high ranking SOE person but meh )

rather than just complaining and telling this person what needs to be changed or added, I thought I would get this thread going and get some really good ideas to toss in there. So post up what you would like to see.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Neori
A Snow Cougar

Server: Tunare
Send a message via ICQ to Neori

Just a couple things that first came to mind after reading this...

I've always thought there should be a way to "lock" extra chat windows so that you cannot accidentally click on the close button and lose the window -- forcing you to recreate it, reposition/resize it, and refilter stuff into it. Maybe they could even remove the close button and keep the option in the right-click menu for each window.

And I'm not sure if this is interface related, but I suppose it is indirectly as it involves how we use the software to control and view the game. I'd love it if they could set it so the last two external camera angles (before the chase camera) could be locked and saved from session to session. I often use them to view in opposite directions when I'm hunting in large outdoor areas to see if something is sneaking up on me. But every time I come into the game, both those cameras are defaulted to showing the same angle and are panned in fairly close. It's not a big deal, since I move them around a lot anyway, but it'd be cool if they wouldn't move at all unless I moved them.

Probably think up more later...
Mandayilie D'Seet - 51 enchanter
Kinyrae F`Lorn - 54 necromancer
-----------------------------------
[re-retired]
-----------------------------------
Former Guildmistress of Angelfire Glory - Tunare server
Neori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
maedieeq
A Shissar Disciple

add a way to to embed pet specific AA, etc, commands into the pet window. (pet hold, suspend, aa heal, yadda.) I guess it would be create specific EQTypes for each AA? i have no idea. But this would be useful.
maedieeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Nitefang
A Hill Giant

Default My Top 10

ok here goes, its possible that some of this can already be done - I just dont know how lol - so edit at will

1. EQTypes for all elements, including buttons, labels, boxes etc...
2. A working, offline WYSIWYG UI Editor
3. fix the "crash to desktop after loading the UI x-number of times" thing
4. Remove the Aug code from the container window - make it its own window
5. fix the ToTH percentage display so the 0 disappears when there's no target
6. allow all windows to be resizeable in every dimension (#$%^ pet window !)
7. allow mulitple chat windows to be customized independantly of each other.
8. give weight/max weight numbers one type like hp/mana/endurance have.
9. add text editing features like italic/bold/underlined text for labels
10. remove the word "Discipline" from CAW button text entirely

Thanks for this opportunity !

Last edited by Nitefang : 09-08-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Nitefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
maedieeq
A Shissar Disciple

oh right. Make Target of Target's Health window a persistant window if it was previously opened already. At the moment, it disappears if i've reloaded the UI or logged out/crashed.

I know it's a leadership, but for a lot of us its a daily use item. It would be nice if it was persistant.

doesn't matter to me if the target and health bar doesn't work if i'm not in a 3 person group with leadership, etc. I just want to never have to remember pop it open again.

Last edited by maedieeq : 09-08-2004 at 02:58 PM.
maedieeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Deathbane27
A Snow Griffin

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

-Allow the ability to disable the title bar, typing bar, and scroll bar on individual chat windows. I'd like to be able to put a Hitsmode in the middle of my screen without clicking on the window instead of what I'm trying to click on.

-Fix that bug I sent to the dev corner last week. :P

-Add "Set Default" and "Load Default" commands so that I can take a specific UI configuration and save it, then load it on another character without having to do the @#$% file swapping.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Qinadwen
An Executioner

Server: Venril Sathir

• Add notes to the friends window, like they did to the guild window
  • Add a clock that shows the ingame time, when you are in a zone that can tell you the time (like Sylphan's "Norrathian daytimer", only as a set window)
  • A more advanced notes window, so you can use it like a pda ... make posts and such ... make it into a database thing, instead of a flat text thing

Baron Qinadwen Loreseeker, Koada'Dal Conjurer of the 56th plane.

Thomas Jefferson:
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
Qinadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
Ruffic
A Snow Cougar

Quote:
-Add "Set Default" and "Load Default" commands so that I can take a specific UI configuration and save it, then load it on another character without having to do the @#$% file swapping.

Yes! I was just thinking about this. I thought there would be one master UI file that you could load from, but I like this idea better.
Ruffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
Desdinova
A Fire Beetle

Server: Fennin Ro

Make any window lockable. Rather than having to modify the UI file for something (containers most noticeably), make it so that any given window can be locked.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:44 PM   #10
Drumstix42
A Snow Griffin

Server:
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

I think along with UI settings, that all settings (like options/movement UI keys) should be user-specific.

*edit* or at least account specific for those of us who have more than one person that uses the same computer
Drumstix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:42 PM   #11
axeion
A Predatory Creeper

Server: bristlebane

How about the ability to add a done button to windows that dont have it normaly but do have close button in the border.They both do the same thing.

"A man has honor if he holds himself to an ideal of conduct though it is inconvenient, unprofitable, or dangerous to do so. "
Walter Lippmann
axeion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:09 PM   #12
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek
Wink

Well here goes....

1. Improve Tech. Support.
As it is now I have friends with Arenanet and they solved ALL my problems.
2. Allow mouse over in Pet buffs, same as for your character buffs.
3. Allow user to by pass all keyboard defaults and create their own confuguration.
4. Fix the windows mode selection. Using Alt-Enter does not change the Options button setting.
5. Create a SOLO Adventure system (Like was first proposed).
6. Extend the range of Corps. summon.
As it is now one most be almost on top of their corps.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
Taleisin

try /corpsedrag next time Danny, you only have to use it once :-)
Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #14
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek

Oh Dah............. I knew there was something that worked better, I have some new characters in the making and hadn't had to use Corpse Summon for a long time and flat forgot about corpsedrag TY.
danny91643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:55 AM   #15
Asmyr
A Gray Wolf

I think this is a very important opportunity. Here are my thoughts. Some of these are already said, but i want to vote for them again.

**working WYSIWYG offline UI editor, with ability to add/remove group/raid members, control 1st name last name length, modify stats so you can check sizes, etc. and patches most recent version of default UI files

**remove the requirements for some elements to ONLY be in certain windows(so they can be moved to other windows), and remove the requirements for some pieces to always exist within a window(so a window can be hijacked and NOT require the previous content in it, or need fake placeholders for them to prevent crashes)

**fix/prevent the crash after reloading UI x times bug

**add text effects like bold, italic, underline, shadow, font size (point/pixel based, not 0-6 based, and independent of size natural to the font, so labels will look the same size regardless of what font u use)

**functionality to "snap" windows to edges of other windows, edge of screen, edge of viewport, during window repositioning or sizing, with controls over how large the snap can be, toggle on/off, snap to midpoint/edge etc.

**functionality to size and position windows NUMERICALLY in-game, ie right click and force current window to be 100 by 200 pixels, placed at coordinates 0, 500

**allow more control over tool tips, ie what direction the text goes, vertical/horiz, what size, color, text effects, whether they stagger or not when overlapping other tool tips, etc (particularly helpful for spellgems, hotkeys, buffs, vendor lists, loot lists, etc.

**add more control for gauges, the community has done so many workarounds to add in vertical fill, color changing/fading, flashing, etc effects for gauges, program these into the gauge code that can just be activated via settings/toggles, so we can stop hurting ourselves shoving a square peg into a round hole

**allow redundant code to overwrite previous versions, maybe with a special identifier that it is purposeful, ie if default code defines the gauge graphic or spellgem graphic, and my code redefines it, use my code without having to double allocate memory and point to new version.

**add code to have little avatar/icon pics for race and class for each group member and their pet in group window, target window, health of target's target window, with ability to disable/enable and use custom graphics of course, all major races and classes should be covered, including NPC races, like shissar, trusik, animal, undead, etc. Border around the 2 icons should match and use the color config in the raid window, for consistency and further visual congruency.
examples:
troll face + skull w/ a sword through it = troll shadowknight
high elf face + snake = high elf enchanter
skeleton face + fist = undead monk
alligator head + flexed bicep = alligator warder warrior

I will go back over this list and prioritize and make sure what i said makes sense tomorrow when im not so tired.